Circumcision care?

My baby boy's not born yet but I want to be prepared on what to expect when taking care of the circumcision wound. Any info would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get detailed aftercare instructions from the doctor who performs the surgery, as different methods can require different care. Different methods have different risks, so be sure to ask your doctor what possible problems you should look for. One of the most common complications from circumcision is adhesion (when the remaining foreskin reattaches to the head), which can occur weeks, months, or even a year later.  To prevent this, it is recommended to pull back the remaining foreskin a few times a day every day for at least the first year after surgery.  Adhesion can be painful and may require more surgery to fix, so prevention is important.

If you don't want to deal with all of that, you can skip the surgery. Then all you have to do at diaper changes is gently wipe off the outside of the foreskin (parents should NEVER pull it back when a boy is not circ'd). No gauze, no Vaseline, no worrying about adhesion.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 3:21 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• make sure you have LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of vaseline!! So it doesn't stick to the diaper!!
    Anonymous

• Don't get it wet. They gave me ointment to keep on it. I don't remember if there was anything else. Congrats! Boys are the shit!!! Although i am happy to be pregnant with a girl.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 6:26 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Get the petroleum jelly in a tube (it's less messy) and gauze pads. I think that was about it.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My pedi used the plastibel (sp?). I'm not sure if they use other methods anymore or not but she put this plastic ring around his penis and after about a week or so the forskin just fell off. She told us not to put anything on it at all and don't give him a bath until it falls off. If it gets wet, it will stick to the diaper and hurt him and make it bleed.
    Anonymous

• After your son's circumcision there will be either a visible incision or a plastibell, which is a small plastic ring.

Three or four times a day, you will need to clean the area with warm water. Soap is not necessary. If you were given a peri-bottle at the hospital this is an excellent way to apply the water. Try to avoid getting the umbilical stump wet while cleaning.

At each diaper change, you will want to apply a small amount of petroleum jelly. Make sure that the petroleum jelly is pure, without perfumes or other additive

Answer by gemgem at 6:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• ooh poor guy lol sorry i had my son circumsized it was kind of sad lol anyway

you will wana keep it clean so 3times a day or so clean it gentaly with a warm wet cloth no soap and dont use diaper wipes on it till it heals, use vaseline and buy it in the tube its easier and less mess that way. you lots but not to much you dont want it to stick to the diaper if it does stick its sad trying to unstick it.
    I gave me little guy tylenole cuz he was in pain obviously you would be too lol ask your dr about how much to give though.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• petroleum jelly and lots of it is best you dont really need the guaze pads after a few days.......but they are really good about telling you in the hospital how to care for it and what to look for so make sure you ask away
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2008