Ive had merena for 9 months now & im a little concerned...

I know the Dr said to expect occasional spotting for a while but this is ridiculous... Ive had problems keeping track of my periods so I downloaded an app on my phone to track it. Since I downloaded it, Ive had my period from the 29th to the 5th (7 days) and then (8 days later) it happens again on the 14th to today (still going...) 5 days later. At first I thought itd be a light spotting between periods, but its definitely a full blown flow. Before merena my periods were pretty regular 28 day cycles lasting 5-7 days. I read a lot about spotting for the first couple months, and not having periods after the first year, but this is crazy and frustrating!

Anyone else experience this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Health

• Since I have been on the Mirena my periods have been light and heavy... I think that it just depends on you.. I would ask your DR because having it more then once a month doesn't seem normal!
    o0luvlissa0o

Answer by o0luvlissa0o at 12:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Same thing happened to me. The doctor said it could take up to 6 months for it to go back to normal, so I gave it 6 months and then some before finally deciding to have it removed because I was almost always on my period..
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My DS is a little more than 9 months and I got it when he was about 8 weeks old. I bled for the first 4 weeks after getting the Mirena, then I haven't had any bleeding whatsoever. None. Not even a period. It was like somebody flipped a switch--one day I was bleeding, the next it just had stopped and never started back up. I guess I'm just lucky, but it's kind of unnerving. I keep buying pregnancy tests just to make sure that I don't end up on that show I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant, lol.

kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 12:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Oh, and I forgot to mention that when I went to have it removed, I had to go back 3 different times because they couldn't get it. First time was the nurse practitioner, she couldn't find it so they scheduled me another appointment with my doctor and an ultrasound to find it. On that visit with him, he couldn't get to it so had to schedule me another appointment but this time with something to soften my cervix and pain meds. On the third visit, he finally got it out. Makes me wonder if it was even in right and maybe that's what caused all the bleeding. Maybe that's something to consider having checked.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 1:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I am having mine put in on monday. The Dr said to expect it to take about 6 months for things to even out. I currently have my period every 2 weeks. he said this should help with my PCOD symptoms too.
    It's your body, if you are concerned call the Dr. There is no price too great for peace of mind
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 1:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Mine is talinkg more than 6 months to even out because I've got the whole nursing thing going on to further mess up any sense of a schedule.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 9:54 AM on Jun. 19, 2011