After I have my daughter (due Valentines day) i pla on getting on some sort of birth control...

Either the IUD, or the Depo Provera shot. Can anyone tell me from experience how they liked either one if they had either one?

i know that weight gain can be a side effect and bleeding can as well, but thats with any birthcontol and how a persons body handles it....

any other input or advice? which do you think is best? i dont plan on having another baby for a few years and i know IUD can be in and last longer than the shot but either will be fine.

KelsoBabeyy

Asked by KelsoBabeyy at 6:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Health

• Never had either one... BUT im going to get my first shot in a couple weeks. i usually used reg. bc pill... but im getting tired of it...

my SIL is getting the shot since a few months. she says she is totally happy with it. no side effects or anything.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I had a friend on depo and it caused a tumor in her uterus some years later. I stayed away from that because of it. I was on the patch and it worked very well.

Answer by gemgem at 6:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I was on Depo and it worked very well for me. None of the side effects. I liked it because it wasn't an every day or weekly thing and I stayed away from the IUD cause something inside of me for that long just kinda freaked me out even tho I know it's perfectly safe. LOL
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 6:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I was on BCP and hated them, I'll never to hormonal again. This time I'm looking at the copper IUD, I think it's called Paragaurd.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:53 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i'm on mirena and have no complaints. it was crampy the first day or so with irregular bleeding, its both a blessing and a curse not having periods though. i'm always nervous.
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i was on depo for 9months and i hated it it made me gain so much weight i gaind 30 pounds on it
    and my hormones were nuts and than after i got off of it i didnt get a period for 1 yr later and personaly i wasnt as happy as i use to be while i was on it
    and my sister in-law couldnt get pregnant for 3 yr after she was on it (but she was on it for 5yr)
    mommydec08

Answer by mommydec08 at 7:49 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Depo..Don't do it..I gained 30 pounds...Patch..Nope..It fell off constantly..IUD..currently..Love it. I do have bad cramps occasionally with it, but my period stopped. Love it!
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Oh sorry..the Mirena last 5 years and I found it to be VERY cost effective. I paid my 40.00 co-pay and that is it..40 dollas for 5 years of BC.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I dont the pill, wasnt trustworthy with it; did the shot, and I hated it. The only good thing i didnt have a period. But i went through mood swings really bad. And I still think after being off of it for more than a year that I am still affected by it. I have crazy mood swings and never can be happy for more than a day. I will never use birth control again..only condoms and thats dh decision. BUT i am in a 6 yr long relationship. Just talk to your doctor, he can guide you to the one he thinks is best for you!
    Trish1984

Answer by Trish1984 at 12:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My friend just got the Mirena and she said the side effects weren't that bad. She said she cried when they were putting it in her, but a week later, she's at work acting the same as she was before, happy and able to run around. I've heard so much bad about the shot, I wouldn't do it. BTW I've only used pills, and now don't have to worry because my husband got the vasectomy :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Dec. 13, 2008