My 20 month old daughter is starting to freak out about her diapers...if they are even just a tiny bit wet she either pulls them off or cries until I change her...

and she is always wanting to sit on the little potty I bought for her but she's only peed in it twice so far.

Does this mean she's getting ready for potty training?

Any tips for me to help get her started? Should I buy pull ups for when we're at home?

davila26

Asked by davila26 at 1:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like she may be ready. I'd take her to the potty every couple of hours when you are home. She'll get the hang of it

Answer by admckenzie at 1:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• She sounds ready. Every 2 hours have her sit on the potty and after meals and after naps. Its up to you if you put her in pull ups.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:39 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Yeah, she sounds ready. You can even try her in panties (if you feel like cleaning up messes) 'cause if she has an accident, she will be more upset in panties since they aren't absorbent. The good thing about panties or pull ups is its easier for your LO to pull them up & down by themselves. I set a potty timer for every hour and when it went off, my DD would go, "Potty time!" and we'd go sit on the potty. Once she started going more & having less accidents, I moved it up to 2 hours. I also used the M&M method. Every time she peed in the potty, she got 1 & every time she pooped in the potty, she got 2. She was fully potty trained by 2 1/2 and its funny now b/c everytime she sees me change the new baby's diaper, she will say, "No M&M for Laney!"
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 3:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• She's ready. Keep sitting her down on the potty and let her stay there until she is ready to get off. If you take her in the bathroom with you and show her how you do it, it will help a lot. Tell her what a big girl you are going on the potty and show her how to wipe and wash your hands afterwards. When she goes, you can tell her that she is now a big girl too. This method doesn't work as well with boys, thankfully I had just one boy to potty train. While she is sitting there you can bring in a small toy or a book or something to keep her occupied. You can turn the water on a little to jump start it. I always also bought them "special big girl panties" when they were training, which was just their choice of character underwear. Congrats mom, it looks like it won't be long before diapers aren't a part of your grocery shopping!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• She may be almost ready - but not yet. Children are seldom ready until 2 1/2 - 3. Many moms try to train too early, which causes multiple accidents, frustration, and tension. Wait!
    She is ready when she can:
    1) verbalize "Mommy I have to go potty" "Mommy, I have to go poo".
    2) sleep through night and naps and wake up dry
    3) dress and undress herself independently
    Not liking to be wet is a good beginning stage, but it is just a beginning. Change her when she's wet. Agree with her how nice it feels to be dry. Teach her the vocabulary words. "You are wet. You are dry. You went potty. You went poo" or whatever words you will use in your home. Teach her how to pull up her slacks, pull down her shirt. Help her learn the skills, so that when she is older, you will have great success! Potty training should only take 3 days, if you wait until she's ready.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:54 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I think its time to start potty training. My daughter was fully potty trained by the time she was 2 and a half. And she would freak out about her diapers if they were wet. But we didnt by pull ups, they are to much like diapers. We bought her big girl panties and she liked to keep them dry, so it seemed to work. We also made a big deal out of the fact that she kept them dry which made her proud that she was doing a great job. But I guess maybe our daughter was just easy because she didnt have any accidents at night and she slept in her panties not diapers.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• So exciting...
    stacy1124

Answer by stacy1124 at 3:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• She sounds totally ready!!! I used skittles for reward for my daughter: it worked everytime. In two weeks, she was completely potty trained. Don't push her too hard if you think she's not quite ready. It sure sounds like she is. Immediate rewards work great for some kids.
    Probated

Answer by Probated at 4:09 AM on Jun. 20, 2011