Is it normal for my 2 year old to still be toe walking?

My dd just turned two and is toe walking. ppl have told me that she will grow out of it, but my 11 year old brither still does it and he has a form of autism. Should I be worried?

beckymom18

Asked by beckymom18 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it wouldn't hurt to as a podiatrist, sometimes they just need to wear corrective shoes b/c they don't have an arch, etc. Good luck
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 2:00 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My cousin did that and they found out that there was something wrong with the mussels in the bottoms of his feet and he had to wear braces on his legs for a while. I'd suggest at least having her pediatrician look at it.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 2:15 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My daughter was a toe-walker because she was a preemie; her walking issues were attributed to PVL (periventricular leukomalacia - sometimes a precursor to cerebral palsy but it never maifested itself in her case). She wore orthotics from ages 2-7 and did physical therapy to help loosen/strengthen her calf muscles. She is a perfectly normal, energetic, athletic child (not just now but even during the time she wore orthotics).

You need to have your child evaluated by an orthopaedic specialist to find out what might be going on. Good luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:43 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• No, it's not normal and she should be evaluated for it. Not necessarily a huge cause for concern, as others have said, but there are things they can do to help, and the longer it goes on without intervention, the harder it will be to correct it.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• no, I would say to see a doctor. They had beginner shoes in the start of their walking right? Do they only do it when they have shoes off?
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Thanks ladies for the advice! Sillylins, she has been doing it since she learned to walk at 1, and she does it with her shoes off and on, but I seem to notice it more when the shoes are on. We just got her a new pair in a bigger size with a better bottom, and she still does it. Im taking her to the doc tuesday to get her looked at
    beckymom18

Comment by beckymom18 (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2011