Ok guys...HELP! lol. I am getting a charcoal grill tomorrow, and I have no idea what I am doing. Got any basic steps that I def need to know? ;)

SO I will am going to purchase a charcoal grill (reg size..not to big, not to small) and I have no idea what I am doing. I just watched youtube videos, and it seems everyone was doing something different. Ok, so I just need some help from you ladies that know how to fire up that grill, and have your food actually come out yummy. So I know how to marinate my chicken,steaks,etc. My question is. Do you always cook food directly over the coals, or do you get them browned over the coals, them move them to the other side and cover. Also, how long should I cook chicken with bone in, and bone out? Basically how many degrees would you say? And whats the best charcoal. Ok...so here you can see I know absouletley nothing about this, so your help is needed asap.

confused 

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 2:23 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

• You cook it all the way on the grill but you have to wait until the coals turn grey/white before putting the meat on. Leave grill open while waiting on the coals to burn off the chemicals. Have a knife and fork near the grill to check to make sure it is cooked all the way through. Matchlite charcoal rocks b/c you don't need liter fluid. There is even the kind that you just light the bag. Seriously buy a cheap tall grill that you don't need to squat down to use. Get a grill brush to clean it. Have a long lighter like for a candle. Do not add newspaper b/c of the ink. Keep the vent open on the top and the lid closed to cook it. When done let the coals burn out by leaving the lid open do not use water. Buy Pam for grilling. Have tongs. Good luck.
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 2:54 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• When you buy your grill you can buy(or look through) one of those grilling cookbooks that are usually right there next to the grill and the first chapter of the book usually tells you exactly how to fire it up and all that good stuff. I don't know how I know how to use the grill, I just do haha. Theres always lighting instructions on the back of the charcoal bag too. Try not to use the "Easy Light" charcoal. While it does easily light, it smokes really bad and you will get choked everytime you lift the lid, I hated it.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Oh and sorry adelinasmommy, but you NEVER stab or cut your meat when its on the grill, all the juices will flow out leaving you with dry meat, use a meat thermometer.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I did not mean to cut it ON the grill but to test it on a plate beside it. Thank you for helping me clarify :)
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 2:58 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• after using propane onew and going back to charcoal...we HATED it! Too easy to burn food on them

Good luck and just make sure you watch your food while cooking it especially with charcoal ones and make sure chicken is fully cooked
    (but that goes for cooking it any way so...)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• onew= ones
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:52 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• put charcoal in a pyramid to burn, then spread out when grey. It will help the meat cook more thoroughly. you dont wanna cook large meats directly over flame, youll cook the outside but not the inside. look up grilling instructions online, get a grilling cookbook, dont get upset your first 20 times of grilling mishaps, and try EVERYTHING. find your style and favorites. its all about your preferences.
    phrenicfire89

Answer by phrenicfire89 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2011