Did anyone else have a baby that skipped the crawling stage, and went right on to the walking stage?

My grandson never crawled. He hates being on his stomach....so he never did the rocking on his hands and knees thing either. He is not going to be one years old in a few weeks, and he walks around if you hold his hands. He can stand up holding on to things. He isnt walking yet, I give him probably a couple more months. He is perfectly fine growing wise, and a very smart happy baby. My kids never did this, so I was wondering how common this is. My kids always, rocked on hands and knees, crawled, then started to walk a little over a year.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My Nephew hated crawling too, he wanted to go straight to walking, but his Great Grandmother runs a daycare and she told my sis that she needs to make sure he crawls so he develops his hand eye coordination. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but he is now 7 and seems pretty coordinated to me.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Yes my son did the same thing, I was told the same thing they really need to crawl before they walk!!
    ljmommy1211

Answer by ljmommy1211 at 2:42 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I took a psychology class and my teacher said they have to crawl or else it does have an effect even if he crawls after walking but he need to crawl
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 3:03 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My son did crawl but a friend of mine, her son never did. I mean, he would army crawl, but never got to his hands and knees. He is 4.5 now and walks/runs everything just fine!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 3:14 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• my daughter did :)
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 3:16 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My first son did not crawl he just ran! Lol and he is a healthy normal kid.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 3:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My mil says that her 1st child (hubs oldest brother) never crawled, he went right to walking at 9 mo. My mom's youngest brother never crawled either. I think he skipped crawling and went right to walking so he could keep up with his 6 older siblings.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My child crawled for about 5 days and then was up and running. I never thought much of it but I later found out that kids who don't crawl enough don't usually properly form integrated reflexes. It was not an issue for my child but it can often be a reason for some the "fidgety" behavior later seen in school and misdianosed as ADHD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My DS never crawled. Crawling is no longer on the list of developmental milestones because it's not necessary and a lot of kids skip it.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My friend's daughter rolled, and then stood up one day to walk. As Calvalrybaby02 said, it's no longer thought that babies need to learn to crawl. So long as they're mobile and eventually learn to walk, it doesn't really make much difference how they got there in the first place. :)
    GlowWorm889

Answer by GlowWorm889 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2011