If there was a truth...

If there was an universal truth that would soothe all your pains & all your worries would you believe it when you heard it? Would you share it with others?

1northwestmom

Asked by 1northwestmom at 2:33 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I actually know of three universal truths (though I don't know that others would agree that they are universal). I don't believe in many absolutes, so it's okay if others come to different conclusions. To me, the three universal truths when it comes to religion/philosophy are: (1) Nothing is lost in the Universe, (2) Everything is continuously changing, and (3) This continuous change is due to the law of cause and effect.

I also believe that it's universally true that everything in the Universe is interconnected, and we are all part of 'God' or the Universe. Others may not believe this to be true. And personally I believe that it's universal truth that everyone has to walk their own path, and relate to the 'divine' in ways that make sense to their psychology, temperament, perspective, etc. I would share with others A truth I have found IF they are interested, but I generally feel that each person must find their own path.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• You mean like Shit happens, Life isn't always fair, deal with it? or "What goes up must come down (eventually). ...Because those are the only universal truths I can think of but they certainly don't bring comfort to most. And then it depends on what your definition of "Truth" is, as some have shown they like to make up their own meanings for words. Even gravity does not hold true to being "true" when an object is placed in a vaccuum, so you really have to watch it when you call something "truth" as the term is VERY subjective.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I don't believe there is one ultimate, universal truth aside from "shit happens" and you really couldn't convince me otherwise because what you would see, I would not.

Truth and reality is subjective. For example: five people can look at a piece of art and come away with five different ideas of what they just saw and none have the same vision as the artist who created the art. What is the truth? The artist's vision or what each person saw?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Truth: we are all the product of matter which has existed for billions of years, and when we die, the molecules comprised of that matter will go on to become other things. Nothing is spontaneously "created", it is altered and transformed through subatomic interactions, fusing elements together and leaving free radicals to float around left over, waiting for something else to interact with, as others are broken down. At some point we were all nothing more than gamma rays and the matter of the primeval atom, which would fuse, divide, transform, split, gravitate, and eventually, billions and billions of years later, become us.

Some people find that comforting. Others find it terrifying. The reaction certainly isn't universal, regardless of the truth of it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• ''death and taxes''..y'all forgot that one! LOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Yes and i have already found it, Thank God!
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 4:44 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• ''death and taxes''..y'all forgot that one! LOL! [dullscissors]

Nah, that would fall under "shit happens".

LMAO!

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Ok, I don't know if I am understand correctly, lol, but I will answer with what I am thinking. I am pretty sceptical about absolute truths. I honestly don't believe there is something that can ease all the bad things in life and I don't think it is good to do that if you could. You can't appretiate the good if there is no bad.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 3:11 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• "universal Truth" doesn't exist
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I would and I have.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2011