What should I do about my toddler being picked on?

My best friend has a toddler 4 months older than my toddler. My daughter is 18 months old. When they come over her toddler ALWAYS bites my toddler. No really... every single time at least twice. Her toddler pushes and hits my daughter too. We both try to keep an eye on them but they are toddlers and run around all crazy. When it happens my friend puts her daughter in time out and says "Do not bite your friend!". Sometimes she pops her on the butt. It's just that... it KEEPS happening. What do I do?!?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know you want to protect your child, but unfortunately, that's pretty common behavior for some kids at that age. At least your friend is correcting her child for doing wrong. The only other thing I can suggest is to demonstrate nice touches (ie, hugs, soft, gentle touches, etc), & give lots of praise for nice behavior. They should out grow this. Patience mama :) GL! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Maybe you can limit the the they spend together. Instead of hitting you hug your friends. It will take a little while. Praise good behavior. It is also the age. You may have to just let it run what it has to. As long as your daughter is not getting really hurt. When i was little and this girl keep doing that to me... My father told me to push her back and she didnt like it and stopped. I know that sounds mean.
    ljmommy1211

Answer by ljmommy1211 at 3:28 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Most of the time children of this age bite because they do not know how to express their feelings. And that is good feelings too. It's pretty obvious that this is the case because it is coming out of the blue and the mother is disciplining her. There isn't much you can do unless you want to keep her away from the other child until she outgrows it. The mother is doing her best, so don't be angry at her. This will pass.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• So the above answers are suggesting while this other child bites and hurts your child its just a passing phase and she will eventually out grow it and its a natural thing.. PLEASE.. ladies which of you would sit idly by and let that happen to your child, i mean REALLY.
    OP - don't take your eyes away from what is happening when these two children are together. If the other child even looks like she will hit or bite pick yours up and keep her out of harms way.
    Sometimes ladies.....sometimes I wonder.......
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• At this age kids need constant supervision especially if one is biting. Sit with the kids and be diligent. It will pass but your child need more help. You adults can anticipate it is going to happen, she cannot.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:15 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Time Outs and butt-slaps do not work to discipline toddlers. They do not understand cause and effect, that "if I bite, I will be punished". However, you do not have to tolerate inappropriate behavior.Children misbehave for 1 of 3 reasons: They have need that isn't being met, they don't understand the rule, or they are stressed out. The toddler might have a real need to bite. Children learn through their 5 senses. They touch, taste, see, smell, and hear everything. When the toddler is about to bite, you say, "No! We don't bite our friends. You may bite a cracker." Give him a teething biscuit or something good to bite. The toddler might be stressed out, and biting to relieve stress. Again, you can say, "No. We don't bite our friends. if you are angry, you can pound this pounding bench. You and your friend do have to keep a close eye on the toddlers until the biter outgrows this. Use gates in doors to limit their play space.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I 100% agree with Lorelei
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2011