Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What can i do what does this mean?

When i was 15 i had a baby the father was around with me being so young i let him give her his last name. Not even before her 1st b-day he was no were around she is 3 years old now and her only daddy she knows is my husband yes we are married. I got a letter in the mail that welfair wanted to do a dna test and now i get a letter saying he went and she is his. Whats going to happen next? Can he come get her anytime he wants. She dont even know him im scared that him and his new wife is going to try and take her from me. With her only being 3 and not knowing him can they have him sgin over all right i do have a report of him calling me 1 year ago telling me he was going to kill me but they could not find his address to do anything to him.Someone help me

Answer Question

Asked by kjjgirl1 at 3:03 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • He can not take her from you unless you are putting her in danger he might get visitation rights but not full custody

    Answer by roxy0522 at 3:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • He cant take her!!! if you have joint custody...even if he brings the cops which ever parent is holding her gets her. There should be a court date for Child support! Just know the judge will most likely give him Visitations seeing how she is there and you have had her the whole time!! or you can have your new husband get approved to do a step parent adoption and then go to court and have the bio fathers rights terminated, then have the adoption occur. But as long as ex is willing and your new husband has no criminal acts of abuse or things like that then it should be an easy process. But just know if you do that you cant get child support!! Why not get it and put it away for your daughter. That way when she is older she can go to school. You have it set up she gets it at 18 as long as she goes to school!!

    Answer by ljmommy1211 at 3:22 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • welfare did a dna test to determine paternity for the child and should be collecting child support for you, did you recently apply for welfare benefits? That is all that means, they aren't going to tell him where you live and he has no more right to take the child now then he did before. I would go to court if you want a no contact order.

    Answer by staciandababy at 3:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • Get some legal counsel.

    Answer by meooma at 8:59 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • He can not take her! Get an attorney to find out everything you can do!

    Answer by aquarianmom69 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • Get a lawyer that specializes in custody issues.

    Answer by thalassa at 10:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.