Had an emergency C section and in lots of pain.

How long is this going to last? The pain? Can't walk! Tired! Had the c Thursday night

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It all depends on the person. You should really try and be walking it will help heal faster, If you cant. wait till Thursday and call the doctor!! or you may want to call the doctor now. Something could be wrong! Fell better!!
    ljmommy1211

Answer by ljmommy1211 at 3:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I had to have an emergency c-section with my first son. It'll take a couple of weeks before you start to feel a bit normal. Keep walking, this helps. Take Ibuprophen (motrin) for the pain. Hope you're feeling better soon.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 3:14 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Call the doc and ask for pain meds. There is no shame is asking for it when needed! C-sections are painful and take a few weeks for the pain to fad, and a bit longer for it to really heal. Walki around your room (at the very least) every hour or so for a few mins - it helps to speed the healing - and make sure to keep your back straight. A hunched back will cause you even more pain when you do try to stand straight later.

Do not apply soap onto the incision, but let the water rinse over it to keep it clean. Pat dry, do not rub. Make sure that it is dry after every shower so infection won't set in.

And what ever you do, do not pick anything up other than your baby! And that should hold for at least six weeks.

Hope you feel better soon!
    Tommyskitty

Answer by Tommyskitty at 3:43 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Thank you ladies.. I'm still at the hospital and feeling horrible. I just wanna get better already
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:58 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• It's hard as hell to get proper rest when you're still at the hospital, but try to get at least a few solid hours of sleep. If you need to, ask the nurse to take the baby to the nursery, or have someone stay in the room to look after the babe and make sure you're undisturbed so you can rest. Proper rest will go a long way in helping you to feel better.

Also talk to your doctor when he checks in on you to find out if there's anything else you should know about keeping yourself healthy and healing properly - and what meds are safe if you're breastfeeding.
    Tommyskitty

Answer by Tommyskitty at 5:16 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I think the key is to get moving quickly. Everyday try to do a little more. I cannot really relate to still being in pain days later. I had an emergency c section with my first and I was doing y weekly supermarket shop 4 days later. If the pain is that bad you cannot move then you want to talk to your dr. Make sure you are taking pain relief.
    M2TandM

Answer by M2TandM at 6:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Did you do labor first? I did with my first and I was so sore top to bottom for about a week and a half before I started to really 'feel like myself' again. Now I was fatigued for a bit longer but it got better and better after the first hump. With my second there was no real labor and I was feeling pretty good by day 5-6.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I had one with my first, and I have had a planned c-section with each of the other 3 kids I had too. It will go much faster and easier if you walk. Just go slowly, and don't push too hard. A little at a time. Trust me- the quicker you get up and moving the better!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I had an emergency c-section with my first and I was in ICU for 24 hours afterwards. By the time they got me up and moving I felt like I was going to die. The longer you stay immobile the more pain you will be in. With my second I was up and moving as soon as I could and it was so much easier. One thing that the nurses told me after my emergency c-section was to hold a pillow tight against the incision and walk hunched over. As strange as it sounded it really helped. The pain was still there but it was lessened enough that I was able to keep moving. Just remember to keep trying to move and if the pain is still too intense don't be afraid to ask for pain meds.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 12:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I'm surprised you can't walk. They made me try to get up and walk the same day, but it was later at night. I had a hard time with it and had to sit down, but I was up the next day. Have them give you some stronger pain meds. I still have pain once in a while on one side and it's been 5 weeks since my c-section.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2011