Wanting to be a vegetarian

I just don't like the taste of meat. This would be a personal decision,not imposed on my family. Other than peanuts/beans/eggs do I need other foods for dietary needs?

RobinChristine

Asked by RobinChristine at 4:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

• lentils leeks maybe nuts in general and try taking vitamins because when i was vegetarian my hair started falling out
    itsmummy

Answer by itsmummy at 4:20 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Itsmummy

If your hair was falling out when you were vegetarian, it's either because you were eating bad, or you may have issues with absorbing certain vitamins. There are millions o vegetarians out there who have never had any hair loss. My DD has been vegetarian since birth & she has a freaking lion's mane. Here is a little simple info on getting the right nutrition while being on a vegetarian diet.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/f/Vegnutrition.htm
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:39 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• a vegetarian has no more of a reason to take vitamins than a meat eater.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• if you want it than do it !!!
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 4:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Congratulations. You sort of learn as you go.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Lentils are very versatile and easy to work with. Barley, though it is a grain is very high in fiber, a good bit of iron and some protein. It can replace rice in a lot of recipes. Make sure you are getting your protein and iron. They are found in PLENTY of places that are not meat. Green leafy veggies are a great source of iron, so are chick peas and almonds.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• You just need to make sure you have enough protein in your diet.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I agree with the others. It's a good choice, and it can also be a healthy choice.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I have been veg for over thirty years.
    I try to eat: 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables, in at least three different colors; 3-5 servings of whole grains; 2 servings of legumes.
    I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• you might look into taking vitamins.
    spidermonkey090

Answer by spidermonkey090 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2011