Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Military spouse claiming state residency with active duty service member?

Okay, so my husband is active duty military (Marines). He is a resident of MI. I am a resident of NC. Right now, we are stationed in Japan. After our tour here, we are moving to a state that neither of us are residents of.

I've heard that I can claim his state of residency as my own, and that we could maintain vehicle registration and licenses if we do that. I really do not feel like changing our vehicle registrations and my license every 2-3 years. That's just ridiculous. Does anyone know what paperwork we have to fill out for me to do claim his state of residency so that we can maintain residency without having to change it over and over? I've tried searching online for it, but can't find it.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • I am a little confused I guess. You have to renew reg. every year and licenses have to be renewed. We are MI residents and we have to renew every...4 years I think. And anywhere you go, he can buy a car and have it registered in MI. We are in Japan currently also, lol, off topic I know :)

    Answer by ILoveCade at 4:43 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • Lol. Where in Japan? We're in Okinawa.

    We were told that we have to renew registration if we do it all through MI, but we won't have to change it every few years. If we don't do it through his state of residency, we have to change it all each time we move, which is a hassle, especially if the state we move to has fast requirements (our next duty station we have 10 days to change the registration to that state and to change our license! We won't even technically be "residents" until 6 months there).

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:17 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • I think you just have to register your vehicle and get a new driver's license in his state. And actually depending on where you are going you might want to consider changing residency for tax purposes. When I was in the military I establish residency in FL and kept it through my career so I didn't pay State taxes. Now I'm out and my husband is in I'm able to keep my residency for FL through him even though we live in Hawaii.

    Answer by HollyBoBolly at 6:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • cant you go to the family advise place and ask them ?

    Answer by cara124 at 9:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • MI doesn't make you pay state taxes either (military). Umm...I really don't know though. I know we just renew every year, he could still get the registration there even if you aren't a resident I think...but MI is a cool state to be a resident of, lol, so maybe you could call the SofS and see what you have to do to become a resident there. Do you have a stateside phone #? And we are in Yokosuka, veeeeerrrrrry far from Okinawa, haha.

    Answer by ILoveCade at 8:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.