what age should you talk about sex

ashleyscoggin

Asked by ashleyscoggin at 8:14 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have always talked about sex in one way or another with my children. When I was pregnant with my 3rd child my oldest, who was 4 at the time, had lots of questions. We talked to him about sex in a way that he could understand. Then when he was 10 he had more questions and we explained things in very straight forward terms, using the words sperm and egg. When he said "I think the important part is how the sperm and egg come together we said, are you sure you want to know that. He told us yes so we explained everything. When he got a little older he was embarrassed so he would write me a note and I would reply. Then I would ask if he has any questions. So for me I would start whenever it felt right for you. If your child is asking questions answer them in a way they can understand and only answer what they ask, sometimes you can get away with a little information and they are ok with that.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• well alot of kids are geting pregnant at 12 and 13 so i will def talk to mi kiddos b4 that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• cornflakegirl3 Great Answer
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 8:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• You start as soon as they have a question, with simple, general information, and increase the level of detail as they get older and have more questions.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:33 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• In *my* house It is an on going conversation starting as early as 2-3 with good touch bed touch/ protect your body. By 3-4 they should know the differences between boys and girls (girls have a vagina boys have a penis, girls give birth and breast feed...) between 8-9 they will know the mechanics of the body both male and female including sex and pregnancy and prevention as well as respect for their body as well as the body of others. At 11 we will start the discussion on the emotional aspect of sex. Love vs. Lust, want vs. need ect and get into the idea of respecting your body; they are the only ones who have the right to make that choice but the choice can not be 'taken back'... this conversation will continue to go into STD's the risk of multiple partners, prevention options and the risk of pregnancy. We will also discuss the intimacy aspect and masturbation and mutual masturbation as an alternative to sex. con't
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:43 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• At some point in there we will talk more in depth about the woman's cycle, fertile days, how long sperm can live int eh body ect... probably around 13. All of the ages I mentioned are quid lines. IMO if they are old enough to ask they are old enough to know. I may be doing this earlier or later than some but my goal is for them to have all the information before they come to an age where they are making these choices and before they get misinformation from friends. I do not trust the school to educate my kids in the area of sex ed. They leave to much out. I want my kids to be fully prepared to make wise choices. I can't be with them all the time I can only arm them with knowledge and hope for the best.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• 42
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Sorry, just joking. I think when they ask questions, they are old enough to get honest answers. We started at 3 talking about good touch, bad touch, but she is almost 5 and has not asked any questions about sex, including difference in boys and girls. It's different for every child.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:53 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Our family is surrounded by birth, since I'm studying to be a midwife, so I'm sure questions will startbearly, but we've already talked about who can touch private parts, penis/vagina, etc, with our 2 year old. We plan to keep a very open dialog with our kids right from the get go. I want my kids to know the truth about STDs, birth control, where babies come from, moral issues, etc by the time they're 12 or 13. Knowledge is power, and I want to make sure my kids know the truth. I also don't trust the school system to teach them right.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:15 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I heard your supposed to talk to them at a yong age anymore. But I started as soon as she started asking questions.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:16 AM on Jun. 19, 2011