Thumb Sucking

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get my soon to be 5 year old to stop sucking her thumb. The only she does it is when she tired, upset or sleeping? I have tried telling her that big girls do not suck there thumbs and some other thing, but nothing works.

momoftaterbug

Asked by momoftaterbug at 9:24 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Thumb sucking is a self-soothing method. If she is doing it when she is upset and such, it is her way of calming herself down. It really isn't the end of the world.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• She's self soothing and if you look at when she's doing it - tired, upset, sleeping....she's not sucking her thumb when she's fully awake and in a good place.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:52 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I know a couple of kindergarten teachers that have the offenders put a sock over their thumb. It seems to break the habit quickly. You do NOT want her going to school doing that or she will endure a lot of grief.
    mjande4

Answer by mjande4 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• If she is self-soothing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If she is doing it at school or something, then you would have a bit of a dilema. She will grow out of it.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• my oldest is 10, he doesnt suck his thumb much anymore but I tried everything, telling him he was too old for it, putting peaut butter on it saying it was poop, getting that THUMB ointment to deter(he seemed to like it more then anything) I have tried taking it out of his mouth when he did it. NOTHING worked, he finally just out grew it.
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I think it's something she has to give up on her own. You might try the nail bitter stuff they put on kids nails to get them to stop biting their nails.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 12:38 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• what if you paint her nails. she'll like how pretty they look..and maybe won't suck them so the paint doesn't come off? probably won't work...lol..i'm not sure?
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 1:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Sorry Im no help. My kids werent/arent thumb suckers.
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 1:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I know people who still do it as adults sometimes. I don't know that you really can make someone stop, they have to want to.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Not sure, bump./
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 12:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011