What's the name of this shot???

I had received a shot of something in my thigh to help me stop bleeding after delivering my baby. Do you have any idea what this would be?

mommy_bink

Asked by mommy_bink at 7:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Health

• Yes, especially after the placenta... all your blood vessels are exposed and open, before there was a baby holding every thing back.

Pitocin is usually intra venous. You probab had an IV running the whole time and the pit was added at the end without you even noticing.

Vit K is usually Intra Muscular aka a shot. It helps with cloting, sould be a natural part of your body and only need to be given if your deficient. They would be able to tell by looking at your labwork.

CocoMason

Answer by CocoMason at 12:24 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• No, but, I would like to know because I was given this also.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 7:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Vitamin K??
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Vitamin K.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Oh, if you got the shot it was likely just pitocin.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I looked up vitimin K and couldn't find anything relating to the mother getting it after birth. They gave me this shot when my dr was doing some repair work down there and the nurse was massaging my belly.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 8:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• It was most likely pitocin. It will help the uterus to contract and close back up...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I was thinking Vitamin K as well.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Giving pitocin after birth is quite common. It is said to be used to get the third stage (placenta) over with quickly and prevent postpartum hemorrhage. Nature will help your body provide oxytocin on it's own if stimulated by nipple stimulation and massaging the uterus...

taken from: http://www.childbirth.org/articles/pit.html#atb

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Even after delivery of the placenta??? I was induced also. My dr was closing me up and it was just the bleeding they were trying to stop.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 10:23 AM on Dec. 13, 2008