Don't know if I should get lil sister to help

I need help withchildcare this summer and thought I could get my lil sister to watch my kid *free* but I know last time she was out here she did cause me a few problems. Always wanting to go somewhere and no money, got into a fight with a roommate (I live on my own now), and not listening when I give a reason for something (she wanted to walk to the library (8min walk) alone I said no because she is use to a small town not a big city), plus always bugging me if she can go spend the night over another relatives house-that I know is not a good place to be.

It would be helkplful to hve her hear so I can run around and try to get a job and not have to pay an arm and leg for childcare but the stress of a teenager my kill me (my kid is only 2 and is a boy).

last time I set up cler rules and talked about what I expected but she failed what should I do now?

***after reading some comments I never saw where I was wrong at. I never thought (I'm being honest) that not paying her was a problem. I guess I just expected her to do it cause she is my sister. My mother did it to me..made me wtch all of her kids for free and I got absolutly nothing from it. WOW thanks for the eye opener guys!!!****

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 10:19 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Maybe you can tradesome sitting with a friend?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• If you are living in a city and are afraid of her walking alone, why would you think it would be ok to be in charge of a child in a city? If she isn't totally ok with babysitting, then she isn't going to be totally into doing it and take the responsibility. And frankly, I don't think it's fair that you would tie her down for the summer watching your child for free. You are the one that had the child and it is your responsibility. If you can't afford to pay a babysitter, then you need to consider other alternatives. There is help for daycare out there.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I cant imagine how stressful that could have been, Its so difficult to need help and then have to pay in a totaly different way than money, If she has matured than maybe it would be extremely helpful, and you might need the help no matter the issues she may cause, what ever the case, Im sure you will do what you think is best for you and your family, I still dont know how my mother managed to survive 5 teenagers, It such a fight for independence, hope all goes well kelly
    kellylong78

Answer by kellylong78 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I would not get little sis to help. Maybe a friend could help.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:28 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Do you have other relatives that you can trust and drop your son off with a couple hours? Maybe if you pay her $10 $20 she will stick around. If you don't feel safe with her then trust your feelings. Find someone else if you dont trust her.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I don't mind her wtching my kid in the city I live in I just don't want her wlking out here alone. I see some of these children out here and they are not what I want to deal with. I live near a university so there is not to much bad going on but I don't want her walking alone out here. I think childcare is my biggest hurrdle/barrier I have.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Expecting her to babysit for free and not have money to do anything or be able to go anywhere sees a little unrealistic to me. Maybe you could talk to her and come up with some type of compromise that works for both of you.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I agree with some of the responses above, but let me take the other side for a moment...She gave you problems last year, but now she is a year older! Is it possible that she has matured a little, or do you think she is just the same as last year? If you really want to have her over, you could make this work, but you will need to make a contract with her. Sit down and think about what you want and what you need. Then talk with her. Draw up a contract together, and both sign it. Let her know that if it doesn't work out, she'll have to go back home and you'll find someone else.She won't babysit for free, but you shouldn't have to pay her as much as a stranger. You are, after all, going to be supporting her while she lives with you. But she will want some perks, as well. If she babysits all after noon while you go job hunting, then maybe you, her and child can go out that night to do something fun. You could grow closer!
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 11:19 AM on Jun. 19, 2011