when and how did you tell your kids santa is fake

i think its kinda mean to tell them hes not real and break there hearts or did u just let them find out on there own thats what my mom and dad did what do you say if you did tell them

truannmil

Asked by truannmil at 7:10 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Holidays

Level 1 (-2 Credits)
  • This questions has been on my mind a lot. I think its fun to play "pretend". It extends a childs mind right? So do we tell our kids that when they play dress up or house that its not all fun and games when they get older? No. Why? Becuase you dont want to ruin thier imagination and play time. I dont know if this is making any since to some of ya all but you know, my kids are going to go on thinking Santa is real but guess what? They KNOW the real reason for the season so when they find out that Santa isnt real they will realize that it was just a fantasy, pretend. So no, I dont think its a lie...its playing along with thier imagination!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 11:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I didn't tell mine. They grow out of it. Or other kids tell them.

Answer by louise2 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I've never told mine... I still tell them that Christmas magic is real....and that I still believe...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 7:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• They tell you.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 7:15 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My DH and I married when my kids were 5,4 and 2. He never did Santa with his kids and without telling me he told my kids the truth immediately. They were bummed that year, but after that it was never an issue. I just made it clear to them that they have no place telling anyone else and that they have to pretend for their cousins who are still little. My family still does Santa for their kids so my kids just play along even though they know the truth. Actually, it saves a lot of money not having Santa.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• yeah you are right you are lieing to your kids and when they get older they are going to think what eles you lied about. The way I look at it is you work all year and Christmas comes and you want to give credit to a santa that isnt even real. Tell your kids mommy and daddy got them gifts not a fake santa...
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Aawww hinson so you NEVER EVER EVER lie to your kids ??? EVER? That's good. You are lucky. I allow my children to have the MAGIC of Christmas. I also let them pretend that their barbies can talk and that their stuffed animal dog helps keep them safe at night. I tell them they are ABSOLUTLY safe in their bed at night (even tho there is always the chance of something unforeseen happening). This whole "Santa is a LIE argument" frustrates me to no end. Because it implies that the people yelling "liar" have NEVER lied to their kids. ever. I believed till I didn't and then I STILL believed in the magic! I still get all mushy feeling when I watch Rudolph with my kids. And when they come to e and ask the true story of Santa I will tell them....and we will move on.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• amen momof030404. Why are people so afraid to let some fat man in a red suit take some credit? Get over yourselves already
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My kids are 2, 4, and 5 right now and they know he's not real. I told them that Santa is just for fun and make believe! They weren't heartbroken at all and still have fun pretending :) Just because you tell them he isn't real doesn't mean they still can't pretend. My kids know their toys aren't REAL but they pretend they are and have just as much fun.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• It's not that I have a problem with those who choose not to believe or choose not to let their children beleive....I dont....I have a problem when people get on here and start calling me a liar. oh AND mt mom, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles.......you get the idea.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2008