I think my computer is totally .

Here's what happened. I was checking my email and saw something from the IRS. Or what I thought was from the IRS. In retrospect, I shouldn't have opened the email. Anyway, I did and it said there were forms I needed to fill out & send back. I thought it was suspicious but wanted to look at them. I downloaded the attachment but then thought better of it and deleted it. Then I kept getting the pop-up "a program needs your permission to continue" and I clicked cancel but it wouldn't close the window. So I shut down. Sigh... Now I've turned the computer back on and it is going NUTS. Immediately, a window titled Windows Vista Repair popped up. 11 errors detected. It immediately started fixing problems. 6 have been resolved, 5 were unable to be fixed and are listed as critical. I have 3 pop-ups that are titled Hard Drive Failure and the message is: The system has detected a problem with one or more installed IDE/SATA hard disks. It is recommended that you restart the system. It has one button, just OK. I have one that is titled Windows - Delayed Write Filed and the message in that one is: Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \\System32\\496A8300. The data has been lost. This error my be caused by a failure of your computer hardware. There are 3 buttons in the box: cancel, try again or continue. I just got another one that is title Critical Hard Disk Drive Error. Inside the box it says: Windows Vista Repair detected a bad sector on your hard disk drive. This error may cause the following problems: - Data corruption and loss - Hard drive inaccessibility - System errors and failures The buttons are Fix problem which takes me to a page to purchase advanced system repair software or cancel. Then under the buttons it says: It is strongly recommended that you fix the detected problem immediately. Please run a full system scan and fix errors. All of these boxes are in the foreground. When I opened my Chrome to see if I could go online, they stayed in the foreground and Chrome opened in the background. I'm also getting Windows Notifications about my RAM usage being critically high. I don't know what to do. I am totally panicking right now. Does anyone actually KNOW what to do in this scenario? I've tried calling my friend who fixes computers for a living but he is not answering his phone right now.

Vix920

Asked by Vix920 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Technology

• The vista pop up is a scam, you will not get any download and it will not fix ur computer, it will actually hurt it more..The only thing it will do is take your money.. It gets in with a download and sneaks past your security system, disables it and uses it too warn you so you think it is legit... I had to restart my computer to an early date and add windows essential security (free) to scan and remove any remaining part of the virus.. If that doesnt work, you can google windows vista spyware scam and it gives hard to understand instructions on how to remove..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:45 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Can you go to a restore point and see if that works?
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 11:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• It is a very smart scam, it uses what ever windows you have to to make you think it is real.. If you have windows 7, it will appear as windows 7, vista, xp etc.. Try to restore your computer to an earlier date not restart lol...After you have done that, delete all the favorites you go to daily and then re-add them.. It learns your habits and attaches it's self to where you go to most...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Thanks everyone. I figured out it is a virus. I feel like a dummy. I have Malwarebytes, AVG and Spybot already. My IT friends is going to remove it remotely in a few hours. I feel like such an idiot! LOL
    Vix920

Comment by Vix920 (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2011