What are the differences between a private college and public college?

I know it is more expensive at a private college but what are differences are there? Is one more credible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Just for Fun

• No, they're both credible. The main difference is the funding....public colleges are state and federally funded, making it more affordable for the student. There is also a difference in how the students are treated. Private colleges...I knew everything going on with my son (private college)....the public college didn't inform me, as was their policy. Not sure what this is all about, just that it was like that.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• The price, the personal attention students get. Make sure the college is accredited or your degree will not transfer to another college if you opt to go back to college later.

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 7:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• How do you find out if it is accreditited or not?
    Anonymous

• EireLass: Thanks that was very helpful.

Is there a way to find a list of private colleges? Is it harder to get into?
    Anonymous

• Most colleges are private. Public schools mostly have the state or county name in them. That's a good way to tell the difference. Public college is cheaper and bigger and probably easier to get into unless it's a really good one. Girl, get on Google already. There are sooo many lists of colleges.... sorted by price, size, average gpa of accepted students etc etc etc
    Anonymous

• Another distinction for private colleges (I went to one) is that since they are not funded federally, they can deny you or admit you for whatever reason they want. My college is church affiliated, so they could deny you for your beliefs or give you a scholarship!

You can google the accreditation for a college. I did that when looking for my grad school.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Private - class size is smaller, most professors have masters not Ph.D's but they actually teach the class you will hardly ever get a TA teaching a class. The TA's are mostly in labs to assist not teach. There are few research opportunities. The teacher will actually know your name and know if you go to class. You have less choices of classes and majors and some classes are only offered every other year or every other semester so if you flunk or drop out of one you have to wait a whole year to take it up again or 2 years. I went to private college but those transferring in from a public one always complained how they could never find the actual professor had TA's teaching, nobody knew their name they were just a number... stuff like that.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Usually public and private have the same accreditation only the private might also have some religious accreditation as well. Usually who they are accredited by is listed in the hand book or on the website.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Not sure why you're asking specifically......but rather than look at those differences, if you know your goal, you should just find the school that fits that goal. Some schools are just better for certain people, and have better programs for where you want to be.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:22 AM on Dec. 13, 2008