Spin off of the singlemom/fathers day question.......Teaching BOY things to GIRLS?

I am not understanding this one. I am as conservative as the next person but I am wondering at some of the reasoning I have seen in this debate. In here and over at the stir and on fb. So the reasoning I see is that single moms should be celebrated on fathers day because they teach their kids the "guy" things. Like changing a tire, not hitting women, ect ect are exclusie to men somehow?I am not an uber femenist (think most are a LITTLE crazy ;) But I learned to change a tire because I wanted to know. Does it not bring up the whole social stereotypes of the sexes to assume that single mom's need this holiday to validate something? And doesnt ot bring up a whole nother issue when it comes to gay parents. With this argument that single mothers need to have this day too, arent you in a sense saying that gay couples need a definate "mom" and "dad" to make it ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Personally (and bash me if you wish) I think it's stupid to celebrate moms on Father's Day. Even if you are a single mom you are still a mom and that's what Mother's Day is for. A mom can change a tire, mow the lawn and fix a broken toliet just the same as a dad, but it still does not make a woman a dad.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• No
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I am not a feminist at all and think that men and women should have different roles. I also think that some basics need to be learned that goes over both sexes. Men should learn to cook, they might not have a woman around to do it, laundry and such too. Women should also know how to change a tire, mostly because men don't like to stop and help in most areas of the country and some that do can be dangerous. But I think that women trying to claim this day is just another way to blend the genders. A lot of women do not like to be women. They started with equality and now are running men over. I think it is disrespectful to men to do these things. And we wonder why men disrespect us so much. It's because we asked for it. Mother's SHOULD be teaching their son's how to treat women, a woman knows best how they like to be treated. It's just selfish to steal this day from the men.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• So if my parents are dead my kids SHOULD celebrate grandparents day with me?

Anonymous

• Mom's have their day in May. This is for the Dad's. If the single parent is a mom, she already had her day and it was in May.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• AND along those lines.... shouldnt I celebrate TODAY as my birthday because I teach my kids things that people who have birthdays today teach their kids.

And along those lines.... shouldnt I celebrate TOMORROW as my birthday because I teach my kids things that people who have birthdays tomorrow teach their kids.

And along those lines... shouldnt I celebrate THE DAY AFTER THAT as my birthday because I teach my kids things that people who have birthdays that day teach their kids

and so on
    and so on
    and so on
    and so on...
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Does it really matter????

MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I'm just wondering if all the "proud single moms" who demand that they get credit on Father's Day too, think it's okay for single fathers to get credit on Mother's Day as well? There are plenty of dads out there who have to be mom as well, because Mom is a crack whore who abandoned her kids or God forbid, has died young.

Sorry, but Mother's Day is for MOMS and Father's Day is for DADS!!
    Anonymous

• If you're a single mom and want something special on Father's Day than that's your choice. Personally even when I was a single mom I have a guy friend who had sorta assumed the role of father figure and on father's day my kids always made something for him - even now that I'm not a single mom my kid's celebrate the day for my husband and my friend. When I was single I never expected recognition on Father's Day. I have two guy friend's who are the only parent to their kids and neither of them have ever expected a gift on Mother's Day - instead they always attended my family's party, we have one on Mother's Day and one on Father's Day to celebrate all the mom's and dad's in my very large family. As far as which parent should teach the kids certain things, I don't see why a mother has a certain role or a father has a certain role. Both of my parents can cook, keep house, fix a car, repair electronics, etc.
    Anonymous

• Gee, why don't we just call both holidays "Parent's Day" ... would that make everyone happy? Holy Hell, what is so wrong with having a special day just for Moms and one just for Dads?? 

*sigh* Birthdays are not the same thing. Does everyone in the country celebrate your special day? Are there cards that people can buy that say ... Happy Jane Doe's Birthday! or Merry Jane Doe's Birthday? Do the stores have Jane Doe Birthday Sales

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2011