Would you buy condoms for your son or put your daughter on the BC?

My son is now 16 going to be 17 in October. He's got the cutest sweetest little girlfriend and well I went out last night and bought him a condoms showed him with a banana how to use them he was embarrassed the whole time but I would rather him be safe then ignorant. I had him at 19 was sexually active at 16 and well if he's anything like his father and I then I need to get him a case of condoms LOL.. My parents didn't discuss sex with us nor did they talk about birth control or protecting yourself from STD's.. I managed to never catch anything thank goodness but these young adolescence's have more going around then we did growing up. My sons Father is outraged with my doing this. I just don't get it.. I am currently with my new Husband now trying to get pregnant and don't wanna be a Grandmother and have a grandchild the same age as my newborn.. Am I wrong in this? I am standing firm and letting my son know it's ok to talk to me about these things as embarrassing as they may seem, he swears he's not having sex BUT I swore to my parents the same thing and then going out getting it on later the same day.. I love my son and don't want to see him struggle in life by getting a girl pregnant and having to give up his dreams. Yes I want grandchildren but not for 10 years or so!

dan4heather

Asked by dan4heather at 12:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You're definitely doing the right thing. Yes, your son may be old enough to buy his own condoms but you're taking the initiative to make sure it is done. As long as you are open and understanding w/ your child(ren), you are leaving no room for error. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!
    LittlesMom549

Answer by LittlesMom549 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I don't think you're wrong. I would take it one step farther and talk to him about BC for her as well. It may not be your place to speak to her but you can make sure that when it comes up between them as a couple that he has the right information. Mine are still in grade school but when the time comes I hope I can handle it the same way you have.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Here's my honest feeling - if they are old enough to feel that they should be having sex, then teenage boys are old enough to purchase their own condoms.
    I have open honest conversations with my sons and my daughter and have 21 year old sons that managed to not get anyone pregnant (and no they are not gay) and a 16 year old daughter that has decided that boys are worth the possibility of screwing her out of her career choice by ending up pregnant. My 13 year old son (almost 14) still isn't 100% interested in girls, but I have talked to him about responsibility of sex, pregnancy, and his older brothers have also.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• It is definately better then buying them diapers
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I think its wrong for parents NOT to do this. Lets be honest here, teens are going to have sex whether we want to admit it or not. Its our job to teach them right and hope they make good decisions. My dd will definately be on bc when she is older. My mom came to be when I was 16 and had a steady bf... and she was right, I was having sex.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Good for you mom!! Keep the dialogue going. You may never be thanked in any way other than delaying the birth of those grandchildren!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 1:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I don't think you are wrong at all
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I had that display when they were younger d my sons are 18 and almost 21 the 21 year old had is first child this year and they have been together for four years. so because i have explained this since they were five there were no oops children i still think at 39 i am too young to be nanna but at least it wasn't when iwas 33. lol
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Yes but it was too late. My son had already gotten his gf pregnant and my dd had already gotten pregnant. DS was 16 and DD was 13. Don't wait (at least to talk with them about it)

Answer by admckenzie at 12:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• BTW, to answer your question, I would buy condoms for my son. He is 2 now but I'm already prepared to have those talks w/ him. So isn't his father.
    LittlesMom549

Answer by LittlesMom549 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2011