Why do you have to be a christian to get elected president?

Isn't your spirituality supposed to be a personal experience. Why do all the presidents have to claim they believe in a boogey man in the sky to get elected in America.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Religious Debate

• There is no requirement that the POTUS be Christian.

On paper. Now how about in practice?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• "Why do you have to bash Christianity while complaining about discrimination that hasn't happened? Nowhere is that a requirement. "

It's not stated in any rulebook or anything (in fact, the opposite is stated, but anyway), but there does seem to be a large group of Christians who say they wouldn't vote for a non-Christian, and looking at the history of presidents, it's known that a non-Christian would have a hard time getting into office. Merely being Catholic was a big deal for Kennedy.....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• A boogey man? How is anyone supposed to take your question seriously when you refer to God as a boogey man?
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• "Last I knew Obama is NOT a Christian."
    lol - yes, he is, people just SAY he isn't because they want any reason to not accept him as POTUS

back to OP - I don't think someone's religious beliefs should be a factor, unless they plan on using those beliefs in making policy (which they shouldn't, since they're supposed to do what is best for the country as a whole, and not just those who believe the same as they do). I would gladly vote for a non-Christian, if I felt there were one running who would be the best choice for the job.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I am an Atheist and I am offended by your tackless question. Cowardly fool.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Thomas Jefferson was a deist president.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 1:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• :O Wow interesting I did not know that. I don't think someone getting elected should be based on their personal beliefs who to say they couldn't do the job better even if they didn't believe in Christianity.
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 12:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Why do you have to bash Christianity while complaining about discrimination that hasn't happened? Nowhere is that a requirement.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Second of all (sorry this is a pet peeve...I don't want to point fingers, but its an attitude that I see often enough that I want to address it)

...its one thing to not *like* the POTUS (regardless of who they are)...but if you can't "accept" the elected official of this country as the POTUS, move...

If I can manage to have served my country through (IMO) the worst Presidents this country has seen, and accepted him not just as the President, but as Commander in Chief, the least thing the biggest critic of a President can do is accept that a vetted President is indeed the President.

**I get that is probably not what was meant by the poster, but the wording was very poorly selected, and there are enough kooky people out there that do think that, which annoys the crud out of me
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 6:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2011