so i babysat my friends dog for a month, now my carpet smells awful and i can't seem to get rid of the smell..

i scrubbed the carpet all day!! anyone have any solutions to this besides buying a carpet cleaner??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Pets

• there are some products like Arm & Hammer pet fresh that you can try. Unfortunately, you may have to rent a shampooer in the long run.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 7:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• that sucks i only had it for a month.
    Anonymous

• Best bet is renting one of those carpet cleaners and getting the pet stuff with it. Then once dry add some arm & hammer pet carpet care (powder kind) and that should take care of it.
    Anonymous

• Ohhh thats unfortunate....I would say the only way to get the smell completely out is to replace the carpet! A good short term fix would be to rent a carpet cleaner-they only cost about 40 bucks to rent.
    Anonymous

• I use a product called SoluMel that is incredible. It's also non-toxic.
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 7:57 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Someone mentioned something the other day on here...I forget the product. If you can PM me I'll find it for you. I know it's something they use in professional places, vet clinics and you can get it at Sam's Club. Never mind, found the post from another person the other day. I've used this product in College.

Need help with pet odors?
    I just purchased a product at Sams Club and it works great for pet odors (and with other household odors). It comes in a 1 gallon jug, and is super concentrate. You put a little of it in a spray bottle and then fill the rest with water. I use it on the carpet, furniture, around the dog beds . . . it can be used anywhere. I have seen this at Wal-Mart before, but they don't always have it. It was cheap at Sams for the gallon jug and it works/smells great. It is called Odoban, you should give it a try if you have pet odors or if you just want your house to smell nice!
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• you should ask you friend to help pay for 1/2 of a cleaning. if this was a favor and you received no monies for watching the dog. It can't hurt to ask, the worst your "friend" will say is no. Next time (if there is) make sure that dog is bathed before coming over.
    just1moment

Answer by just1moment at 2:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• babygoose has the right answer with the odorban. You can put it in your carpet cleaner and it will take the smell away! I run a doggy day care, and use it all the time. Plus I bath the dogs to help stop that problem!... lol  Not bashing,  just letting you know, that bathing stinky dogs that have to be in your house is a great idea to stop that doggy odor...

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2008