How and when did you teach your children to swim?

Or can they swim at all?

DDs are 2 and 5 and can not swim as of yet. We live next to a lake and that is our summer goal: both kids swimming before our oldest starts school!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I was 5 or 6 and my parents tossed me into a pool and basically said "sink or swim" - each one of us swam. My dad stood in the pool just in case we sank while my mom tossed us in. I haven't gotten to that point with my kids but I'm not against trying it. My 5 year old swims great under water but she hasn't quite figured out swimming above the surface yet and her doctor said a lot of kids learn how to swim under water first. I'd like to put my cousin's son in a class - she certainly won't do crap for him - he is 12 years old and doesn't know how to swim, he's embarrassed by it and there is one last class trip before school ends next week and where they're going has both a lake and a pool and he's terrified his friends will find out he can't swim.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 4:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• we are in so. cal.... pools EVERY WHERE. I had my kids in lessons by 2.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My 8 year old is quite scared of the water. I have her in lessons now. My oldest taught himself.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I used to babysit and they do have classes for babies.
    emerald2

Answer by emerald2 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2011