Could the US pull this off?

Could the US pull this off?

Apparently Sao Paulo, Brazil passed something called the clean city law which stripped the city of advertising. (Ironically, when I brought up the site linked below a pop-up ad instantly plagued my window.)

I personally think it's a good idea. Not only does it do away with physical pollution, it also decreases unnecessary clutter of the mind. I don't know about you, but I would much rather treat my mind to trees and even buildings than tacky bilboards.

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/jun2007/id20070618_505580.htm

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• A few US cities have... Sacramento, Ca is one I know of that eliminated the billboard, minus one electronic one owned by the city (can you say revenue?....but that's another issue).

Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 1:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Move to the country.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Advertising fuels our economic engine-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

***
    Can you honestly say that you have gone out and purchased something BECAUSE you saw an ad, and decided you just "had to have it?!"

Why I live in a country suburban area, is to avoid as much "hustle and bustle" as possible!! If I want something, I know where to get it!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Actually LoriKeet, I can say that. If it wasn't for a billboard right off base, I wouldn't have known about Jeff Dunham coming to town and purchased tickets for my husband and I to go see his show :P

But I do agree, too many billboards is too many. A lot of them are just clutter.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• We don't have billboards in our town due to a city ordinance. The town that butts up to us has them but I really don't notice them that much with the excpetion of the electronic ones. And even then I don't pay much attention. Businesses would simply mail out more crap than they do now.
    Anonymous

• It really doesn't matter to me. I rarely think about them or notice them. The only places I have noticed billboards etc. are in NYC and Las Vegas. I live in the Twin Cities ---they have a combined population of over 3 milllion and there are miles and miles of freeways but I don't even notice them. I think there are reasons for builders and I am not going to worry about it. Business is business.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:01 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• ooops....billboards.
    I am watching my recording of the daytime emmy awards and I am not concentrating on this too much.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Some cities have limitations on the height of billboards.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2011