How and when did you teach your children to ride a bike?

Or can they?

We live on a gravel pot hole filled road and have been having issues with the kids getting pedaling down

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• We took my son over to the church parking lot when he was 5 and it only took about an hour. He's always picked up everything real easy though. I'm wondering how/when my 3 year old will do it!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• my girls are 3 and 6. We oviously haven't started with our 3 year old yet. But our 6 year old broke her training wheel when she was 4.5 years old. I took them off. I didn't want to buy new ones for her bike when we were going to teach her at 5 to ride anyway so i told her if she wanted to ride her bike that she needed to learn without the training wheels because I wasn't buying another pair. She was trying I asked if she needed help she said no. She was out there from 10 in the morning trying by herself with no help and by 7pm that same night she was riding her bike. She tought herself at 4.5 years old. She learned a week after learning to tie her shoe.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My oldest learned by age 4(she was almost 5) and my 10 year taught herself she was 4 also, my 7 year old is not interested in learning but she is getting a new bike for her birthday so I am hoping she will want to learn, my 5 year is old already trying but hasn't gotten it yet.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 1:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• We gave our triplets their first bikes when they turned 5 last July - smallest bikes. They are now riding without training wheels and are not quite 6 years old...self taught pretty much!
    sem71205

Answer by sem71205 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My daughter was 4.5 and my son was 3..my youngest who is only 2 doesnt know how yet, but hes a fast learner and we will be teaching him as soon as he can reach the pedals lol
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My oldest is 6 and just learned to ride her bike but considering when the rest of us in the family learned she was a late learner. My cousins, siblings and myself were all riding our bikes between 4 and 5 years old. My cousin had his son riding when he was 3 years old. I have a 5 year old who would've been riding her bike without training wheels by now but she broke her arm in April and it still isn't fully healed so I told her we'd keep the training wheels on until her arm is completely healed but if at her next visit the doctor says the x-ray shows her arm is healed we're going home and I'm taking off the training wheels immediately. My twin boys just barely turned 3 but have asked for their training wheels to come off and are currently teaching themselves how to ride, though technically they're getting help from their sister and a few cousins.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 4:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2011