How early do they do ultrasounds for pregnancy now?

I keep seeing these questions about knowing they have twins at 8 weeks, 10 weeks and showing. What's up with that? They are the size of a pea at that time. How soon do they do ultrasounds now and why would they check for twins that early to begin with? They used to not do them until 20+ weeks to check development. I don't see why they would do an ultrasound earlier than that just to confirm pregnancy. Any medical folks out there to explain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They usually do one at the first prenatal visit. They tend to do one earlier not only to confirm the pregnancy but because it is more accurate at estimating due dates when done early on.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I had one at 5 weeks, 8, 15, and 19 so far but I had complications...
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• 19 years ago I only had one at around 20 weeks.. 8 years later when I had my second child I had one around 6 weeks or so to get a better idea for the EDD, then a second one at 20 weeks. With my third.. I only had one at 21 weeks.. I guess it varies.. I had the same OB and insurance for all 3 if that makes a difference.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• all 3 of mine I had done at my first visit. My first dd I had one at 6-8 weeks. My second one was at 12 weeks and this one I am pregnant with now I had done at 4 weeks pregnant
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• oh I had a diffrent OB the first time around and with him I had the first like I said 6-8 weeks and the second at 5 months (because he couldn't find a heartbeat, turned out to be nothing), and then I had a 3rd ultrasound at 8 months to find out the sex. With baby 2 and this one I have the same OB, but second baby I had an ultrasound at 12 weeks (to make sure how far along I was), 20 weeks (to see the sex), 26 weeks (to measure baby) and 30 something weeks (to see hoe baby is growing). This one I had one at 4 weeks (to see how far along I was), one at 12 weeks (because this is normally when he likes to see you, but I already had an app. set with him so I kept it), 20 weeks (to see sex), 26 weeks (cause I was measuring big), and I am going to have another ultrasound this Thursday and I will be 33 weeks (I think to measure baby again...baby is measuring big)
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• you get ultrasounds for many diffrent reasons depending on your health pre- pregnancy ,perviouse complications, carring multipule babies if theres past history,if your at risk for misscarage,..things like that. i had one done with my 1st at 9weeks to see how she was doing and to get an estimate of my due date..then one at 16 or 17weeks for the sex again at 20weeks for growth,one at 24 weeks bc i wasnt messureing like i was b4 and one more b4 i delivered i think at 26weeks and was enduced at 38weeks due to high blood pressure..this one ive only had one at 8weeks when i was only spose to be 6weeks and i have one comming up to find out the sex and get babies growth
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• It really depends. Some doctors do them at the first visit if they see a medical reason or to get a better due date because something is way off. Or if a woman has a history of miscarriages they'll do them early to make sure that everything is ok.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Depends totally on the practice you go to. Some like to have an early ultrasound to indeed confirm a pregnancy, measure the sac and get an accurate due date. (Earliest ultrasounds make for much more accurate dating rather then later ultrasounds.) If you have had a prior miscarriage, or if your preliminary blood tests indicate an issue, then some docs will perform them to check as well.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• If you dont know when your LMP was they typically do one to figure out how far along you are. I didnt have one until i was 19 weeks along because i knew when my LMP was and thats when i found out the sex of my baby. I have a couple of friends tho that got one at 5 and 6 weeks because they didnt know their LMP.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• In australia they do them around 8-12 weeks to get a EDD & then at 20-22 weeks to make sure baby is developing right & possibly more for other reasons..
    Nicole_Anne

Answer by Nicole_Anne at 9:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2011