Can you bake a cake that calls for three eggs with only two eggs?

I'm baking a cake for my dh today. The cake mix I have calls for 3 eggs but all I have is 2 eggs. Can I still bake it even though I'm an egg short or will it mess the cake up?

Jacqalyn

Asked by Jacqalyn at 1:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

• one idea from online............Smash up or blend about a half a banana or 1/4 cup applesauce to use as an egg replacer in baked goods such as muffins, pancakes or yeast-free quick breads. Bananas and applesauce add the perfect amount of thick moisture, like eggs, but they won't help your dishes rise or turn out light and fluffy, so be sure the recipe you are using includes a bit of baking powder or baking soda to help it rise if needed. GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 1:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Hmmm...I don't think it'll make too much of a difference. It should be fine.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I think you can, it will just make the cake flatter. That's how it works with Brownies any ways! Good Luck!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Yes I have done it..
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 1:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I'm thinking so! Good Luck!! If It calls for any other liquid in it. Add+ a pinch more! Best of Luck in it all turning out!! We have Chickens & eggs. How I wish I could squeeze one through here to you! I sure would! I hope it turns out!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Thanks Ladies, I'll let you all know how it turned out when I'm done.
    Depending on how good it looks I my even post a pic...LOL!
    Jacqalyn

Comment by Jacqalyn (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I've cooked many things that called for one egg w/o an egg, and it was just as good.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Try 1/2 cup of applesauce or 1/2 cup banana instead. If you have neither just go with the 2 eggs, it might be a little flatter or a a little less binded, depending on what purpose the eggs are playing in the recipe. Overall it won't have too much of an effect.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• yes indeed you can.You can even bake a cake without any eggs and or use egg beaters or one of them-my son is highly allergic to eggs,nuts etc and I always bake egg free cakes-you'll be fine with just 2 eggs.
    Gemini5

Answer by Gemini5 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Mix two tablespoons of ground flax with two tablespoons of cold water.

Or, look for a cake recipe that only uses two eggs (or no eggs)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2011