• In the Spotlight:

What bug, that stings, would make a nest on the ground? Help ASAP

My husband just came in because something outside stung him. He didn't see what it was. But he just came BACK in to tell me that he saw a ton of things flying around that area of the yard and he thinks there is a nest. The thing is, we have no idea what bug that stings (and flies!) would make a nest on the GROUND. Can anyone help me? And if you have any idea, how would I treat the sting for that insect? For now we just washed it out and he took some Tylenol.

MamaPyratekk

Asked by MamaPyratekk at 12:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I was thinking yellow jackets myself. Could be different types of wasps or solitary bees. Try applying a cold compress to the area, some suggest mint toothpaste (no gels) applied helps soothe. It might be too late but if there's a next time you might try taking a benadryl right away. good luck!
    allord

Answer by allord at 12:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Anyone know if yellow jackets make their home on or under the ground? I just went out to look, and you can't get close enough to see the bugs up close but they are SWARMING above their nest (husband accidentally went over it with the weed whacker I think!). They're small and yellow.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 12:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Hornets, bees, termites, wasps, will all nest on the ground. Espically yellow jackets. If he swells up in the face, toung or body or cant breath call 911 because it is a life threatening allergic reaction. How to treat them? You can usually get poisions at the garden center for them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• You can try laying the hose over their nest and flood them out to move along and nest elswhere.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Ugh yea I just looked it up online and I'm definitely thinking yellow jackets. BAH. Thanks hun
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 12:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Yellow Jackets sounds right to me. My poor Grandmother stepped on one once and got a couple trapped under her skirt. I wouldn't try poisoning them until dusk or near dark they are less active then therefore less likely to swarm.
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• We have a type of wasp that looks similar to yellow jackets. I can't remember the scientific name for them but they are cicada killers. They're the hugest wasps I've ever seen.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• "I wouldn't try poisoning them until dusk or near dark they are less active then therefore less likely to swarm."

This is what I read online. And I swear, two seconds after I read it my husband comes in and says "I just threw a bug bomb at them like a grenade!" Mind you, the thing wouldn't even work because it's supposed to be used in a confined space. I told him, jokingly, that he had poisoned the whole neighborhood now. I found a site with things to kill them so we'll be doing that tonight. Fingers crossed that it works!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 12:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Good luck bug hunting tonight :)
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• My grandmother use to put mudd on our stings when we were little and it to helps draw the stinger out. They are grould bees and probley very aggressive. My Dad would wait untill night and pour gas in the hole and light a match and throw it in the hole, if your up to it. It always got rid of them, althought he is a little nuts (lol). Good luck and "bee" careful haha
    heatmac4

Answer by heatmac4 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2008