State Headstart program or private daycare?

After 2 years of being out of the workforce, I'm getting back in. I have the opportunity to put my daughter in an income based headstart program or I know a few people who gave a private daycare excellent reviews, but it's 295.00 a month. :~S Suggestions? Ideas?

BeccaBean

Asked by BeccaBean at 1:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Find out what the ratios and education level are for the headstart programs. They are usually very good programs and because they are state run, have tighter rules and regulations.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I'd go with the headstart program.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I would prefer the private daycare.
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 2:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Head Start can be a good program but some not so good. Some home daycares are great and some not so good. I prefer the home setting I think it's a more natural environment where the child can get more individualized attention. It's a 1:6 ratio at the home daycare and 1:10 at Head Start classroom. Head Start will provide a stimulating classroom but sometimes they may switch around staff so you may not have a consistent person who knows your child. The home setting can be just as stimulating but there is no supervisor overlooking them to make sure they are doing their job and not just turning on the tv all day. I don't really think you can answer which is better for you and your child until you visit the places and ask questions about what they do each day and ask questions about their ideas about children. I believe its a go with your gut feeling about it type of thing.
    Mom2Kaylie

Answer by Mom2Kaylie at 7:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I'd prefer the Headstart program. My kids have all been in Headstart and they love it and they have learned so much!
    sweetmissy_05

Answer by sweetmissy_05 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 21, 2011