My house is always a wreck...any suggestions on how to cut the clutter?

sem71205

Asked by sem71205 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• flylady.net
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• get rid of the stuff you don't need
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 2:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Go through room by room with a garbage bag in hand. If you have forgoten about an object, don't use it, or it's ugly toss it.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 2:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I have little bins for things.....like paperwork in the kitchen, books in the living room, all my make-up and stuff in the bathroom. It helps keep it a little more organized.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• The way I was taught was to start in one room at a time and work back to front, and side to side, putting things up as you go. I usually keep a laundry basket or something with me for the things that dont go there, and carry it with me and when I get to where they belong put them up. I also go through and the stuff I put in the basket that doesn't have a place or if I see things that are old or I dont use anymore it either gets tossed or donated. I also straighten everything up as I go, like books, magazines, remotes and other things that have to be left out. I get rid of junk mail and keep the mail I need in a certian spot. I also use bins and stuff for my daughters room, and I have beens for my stuff, like make up, lotions and things like that. Also I keep a basket or something out during the day for my kids stuff so I can just throw it in there until bed time when they have to clean their room up. Good luck decluttering!
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• flylady.com is a good place to start.
    just like a child cleaning his/her room.... sometimes we get discouraged if the job seems/looks too big/over whelming.
    fly lady will help you take it down to bit size pieces.

do not buy or bring anything into the house unless it is needed and has a place... that is a good start until you get the current stuff under control.
    Anonymous

• Go through one room (or even one closet if that's too daunting) of the house at a time ... PURGE! If you haven't used it in awhile, get rid of it (trash it, sell it, give it to a charity, neighbor, whatever). You really need to scrutinize your objects and don't let emotional attachments get in your way; I'm an organizational freak and have worked with friends to help them declutter and people are really weird when it comes to their stuff, often having a hard time letting go the most unnecessary of things. Keep your mind on the final goal ... I can't tell you how liberating it will feel when you are all done.

Once you've done all that (it could take several weeks if you've broken it down into several smaller projects), make it a rule that for every new thing you bring into the house, you need to get rid of at least two. That way, you won't find yourself in the same predicament as you are now!

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Be brutal with the stuff - only keep out what you plan on accessing every day or once a week. Pack away nik naks and even rotate them to have a fresh look when you tire of them. Buy clear organizing tubs on sale and pack away and label what you would use on an intermittent basis.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Throw the crap (yes it is crap not clutter) out or donate it.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I look around and think to myself 'what can i live without' a stick it in a bin, if i don't think about that item for a month after it's in the bin it is donated
    Anonymous