Spinoff of should single mother's celebrate father's day & vice versa...

When a child is in school/daycare and there are activities surrounding Mother's/Father's Day should a child who doesn't have a mother/father in their life not participate in said activities? Should they just sit on the sidelines while everyone else participates or should they celebrate the parent they do have in their life?

MrsMWF

Asked by MrsMWF at 2:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Growing up i made my mother a gift for her on mothers day and fathers day and why shouldn't she get that when my father was a dead beat and left she stepped up and took on both rolls and did a damn good job she deserved that and so much more
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 11:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Well my youngest do have their dad but they have to work so when donuts for dads comes around grandpa, my son in law, an uncle or someone special goes. Either way they enjoy it. I think most kids do have a special guy in their lives so they shouldnt have to sit on the sidelines. Same goes for moms.

Answer by gemgem at 2:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I have my students make something for someone else special in their life. For mother's day I had a student make a gift for his aunt. For father's day I had students make gifts for a brother, a grandpa, and mom's boyfriend. I give the child the choice of what they'd like to do.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I'd say they should make something for another male/female figure in their life. But I also think that if its a situation where the mother or father has passed away they need to talk to their parent to see what they'd feel most comfortable with their child doing. But either way I think they should get to participate, especially with how different everyones home life is these days. Not everyone has the same situation so for those kinds of activities, there should be more choices that fit the childs situation.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• When my daughter was in daycare she always made the fathers day stuff and gave it to me. Same thing with school. Why should she not participate?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 2:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Kids without dads already feel left out enough in everyday life when the subject of fathers comes up. Why would they need exclusion on this, too? I'm a widowed single mom - I do both jobs. My kids have never done anything for me for father's day, but that doesn't bother me. I don't need recognition today. It should be up to the child who they make something special for.

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• What if the child wants to make something for their mom on Father's Day or vice versa? Would you tell them no they can't because it's not "mom's holiday"?
    MrsMWF

Comment by MrsMWF (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• So what I'm understanding is it's okay for them to celebrate someone else on mother's/father's day(even though it's not their parent), just not the opposite parent?
    MrsMWF

Comment by MrsMWF (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I have had the teachers let my kids make me fathers day gifts when I was a single mom.

Answer by gemgem at 2:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I'd also say that if they want to make something for mom on fathers day then thats great. My MIL has been alone for 12 years now because she's widowed and since she plays mom AND dad, we try and make the day about her too.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2011