Teaching tolerance and intolerance part 2

This is another quote by the same person who made the statement in that other question:

''My entire effort in the Keith Ellison matter has been to draw attention to the need to acknowledge the Bible as the basis of America's moral values. Judeo-Christian values are the greatest single protection against another Holocaust.''

Is intolerance, as presented by that person, a good thing, on behalf of rebuking evil?  Would we face another Holocaust if people were not forced to acknowledge Judeo-Christian values above all others, whether they want to or not? 

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm confused... since when have the Judeo- Christian religions been the sole basis of morals and decency in the world?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• since when have the Judeo- Christian religions been the sole basis of morals and decency in the world?

Apparently since Dennis Prager said so.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Respect- that's all that needs to be taught. Evil, good, values, morals, faiths are all subjective and should not be legislated or controlled by any government, IMO.

People need to worry about themselves and any other person that they are raising, nurturing, supporting, influencing for a short, short time.

As long as your neighbor is decent and law abiding,and his behaviors do not harm you, all you need to do is respect his freedom to do what he pleases.
    No, if everyone followed Judeo-Christian teachings the world would not necessary be a better place.
    Would all strife end if everyone were Muslim?
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• ''My entire effort in the Keith Ellison matter has been to draw attention to the need to acknowledge the Bible as the basis of America's moral values. Judeo-Christian values are the greatest single protection against another Holocaust.''

Really? because America allowed the Holocaust to continue for some time..Do you (in general , not YOU) think it was MORALS that got us involved in the war?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• As long as your neighbor is decent and law abiding

I would amend that. It's people thinking it's their job to decide what is "decent" in other people's homes that causes most of the problems.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Many people (mistakenly) take the puritans as the example that the U.S. was founded on Judeo- Christian values. It's not true, as we fought the British YEARS later. So the person making the statement is either showing ignorance, because he simply did not understand early American history, or stupidity in buying the misconception and propagating it further.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 3:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Not decent in their homes, NP- Decent in how they treat others outside the home... I'd rather have a gay couple who were friendly, neighborly, working and pleasant for neighbors rather than a beating the breast, religious, Gladys Kravitz-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• As for morals and intolerance, I said my piece in the last post.
    All things, people, and animals deserve respect.
    Respect means, to be kind.
    Laws and rules are there for a reason, people and animals who break them, still deserve respect, but not trust or absolute freedom.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 3:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I'd rather have a gay couple who were friendly, neighborly, working and pleasant for neighbors rather than a beating the breast, religious, Gladys Kravitz-

Right, but then there are the beating the breast, religious Gladys Kravitz's who stopped reading your statement at "I'd rather have a gay couple" and labeled you indecent.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Many people (mistakenly) take the puritans as the example that the U.S. was founded on Judeo- Christian values. It's not true,

Christian values are what founded this country, no matter what you have learned from the progressives. And I don't say that as a Christian.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2011