Why do some people get so possessive over who is able to celebrate Father's Day? adult content

i'm having a hard time grasping why a lot of people care so much that single moms take a bit of the credit today? so what if she doesn't have a cock between her legs, she's playing both roles isn't she? what about lesbian couples, is one of them not allowed to take credit today either, assuming one of them plays the masculine role? are father figures who don't share dna with their children also not allowed to celebrate today because they're not biologically related? does it really affect your life how other people celebrate Father's Day?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Personally I dont see any problem with people besides biological fathers celebrating. Mothers that do both roles deserve just as much credit. I've even gotten cards for two of my DHs friends who are a big part of my daughters lives. Neither one have their own kids yet but my daughter calls them both uncle and loves them like family and I see no problem with showing them some appreciation today. I think if anyone is a postive figure in a childs life they deserve some recognition for it. Regardless of whether or not they are their father or if they're a woman. If a woman is doing both sides of parenting then who cares if she gets celebrated today? She's more than earned it!!
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• We always gave my mom "a day off" on mothers and fathers day....mostly cause our real dad was a POS and forgot our birthdays and christmas religiously.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 3:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• This is one of the CM oddities to me. Only on CM is this even an issue.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Do single dads get to celebrate Mother's Day?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My bf is not the biological dad to sonny but he's still the father in my eyes and to sonny more than the man who made him so I don't care what anyone says we celebrated fathers day with my bf
    sleepinglotus

Answer by sleepinglotus at 6:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My bio dad is not involved in my life and hasn't been since I was a child. My step dad and my grandpa were the father figures in my life and they are the one's I honour and wish to spend the day with. It's just the way it is, oh well! I would as a kid often make something for my mom on father's day because that's what we were doing in school and I knew I wouldn't be seeing my dad so.... I guess at a young age I thought it was appropriate to honour the one's involved in your lives.

I hope that other's honor their parent's as they should and I'd also really like to not hear that my dad (bio) was complaining to someone we both know that his kids didn't call him for father's day.  Well buddy pick up the phone and call me for our last 20 or so b-days.  I don't like the entitlement assumptions absent father's sometimes have.

AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Well coming from a single mom whos childrens father isnt in the picture I do not celebrate fathers day. yeah sure some people wish me a happy fathers day and I thank them but I dont go out requesting acknowledgment on the subject. We celebrate with my father who is more of a father to them then their own. I think this is just up to each individual familys preference
    MIMIBRIE

Answer by MIMIBRIE at 11:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Ok but in all fairness....what about mothers day? Is it ok for a single father to take the credit? What about step moms?

I agree with you entirely but I know way to many people that dont! Truth of it is...Mom/Dad is a job not a birth right. Whoever is putting in the time, talent, and funds should reap the rewards.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 3:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• who cares what other people think? If I was a proud lesbian woman with a family and I was taking on the father role.. I wouldn't give 2 shits who didn't like me celebrating a day .. OR if I were a single mother with an absentee father of my children.. and I considered myself both a mother and father.. what the hell do I care what you or anyone else thinks?? We need to all start being adults and stop caring what everyone else thinks and says to us.. celebrate what you want! when you want to!! If you live here in America.. that's our right.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 7:07 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Well I liked the Hallmark commercial they had years back that said "To the Fathers who are also Mothers" on their Mother's Day commercial. Same thing applies. Single peeps do the work of both. I think it is ridiculous to argue over who's day it is. I have a life.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:05 AM on Jun. 21, 2011