What does the American dream mean today?

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and all men are created equal. Looks good on paper but is that really apparent today? Now this was a great foundation and had the right idea but is it visible in todays society? Are we all equal? Are we all given a FAIR chance? Do we have liberty or regulation? How bout happiness, is it even possible for us all to pursue happiness when no one cares about each other or their well being? We need a new american dream one that applies in the world today... Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is whatever you want it to be. Life isn't fair I was born to teen parents who were also drug and alcohol abusers. We were very poor due to poor choices they made in life. When they both got sober they made better choices my dad is now a successful business owner and my mom is a college professor. Wasn't easy but nothing worth having usually is easy.

I think people care but at some point people do have to do for themselves. They have to prevent pregnancy even if it means no sex if they can't afford another mouth to feed. They have to realize the difference between a need and a want. My younger sister is on welfare now she has a brand new iPhone along with a 180 a month cellphone bill she can afford because she doesn't pay for food, housing or much else. She works 25 hours a week and has it down to the penny what she can earn to keep her benefits. There is no incentive for her to do more for herself.
    Anonymous

• I have told my sister I have no respect for her. She had a full ride scholarship and was able to take her kids with her since our dad and her mom were going to pay for housing for her. She said nope she said it would be too much work for her. She works nights her boyfriend who doesn't work at all watches the kids. They don't live well and complain often how unfair it is we have a nice home, nice vehicles and pretty much what we want. I told my sister we worked for all we have and reminded her being 18 years younger than me she had a lot more advantages than I did. I don't feel sorry for her and don't help her out at all. I will buy the kids things but I remove all packaging and tags so she can't return the items to buy cigarettes or beer. Many are like my sister until she does for herself she will always live in poverty.
    Anonymous

• My American Dream still includes life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I think the American Dream is different for everyone. I surround myself by people who care about my well being and cut the rest out. I really believe that happiness is a choice.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I do not care about what chances they give me I do whatever I have to to move on in life I believe I get what I give and maybe sometimes its a little harder but how could I appreciate everything I get when it rolls over to me with no work at all. My drema is still alive I am working for it now. Hard work, liberty and not always fair is my America but it works for me.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I believe EVERYONE in this country (in this day and age) has amazing opportunities to realize their American Dream. Unfortunately there has been a major shift in people WANTING to put in the effort and sacrifice in order to make that happen!!

My husband and I have realized our dreams, and still have several on the horizon. No one helped us to do it--in fact some of those closest to us tried to impede our goals. But, we persevered, and did it on our own. There is something to be said for dealing with and overcoming adversity!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:12 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'll sstick to the one we have. It still works if progressives are taken out of the picture.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• dream lol
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• The Constitution spells out your rights and many of the Founders stressed that those rights would need to be defended from enemies both foreign and domestic. Equal opportunity does not guarantee equal outcome. We are equals under the law in that we have equal opportunity to succeed according to our skills and work ethic. As conservatives, we are very much against government road blocks such as excessive regulation which is designed to give the government more control. That is counter to our Constitution and that is why conservatives are so up in arms at the Obama admin as it attempts to socialize the country and dumb down the people...which is just another form of slavery...dependence on the government master.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 10:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Just hanging on ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Based on all the commercials i see it means owning a home. I thought it was the ability to work hard and make something of yourself.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2011