5 week old with colic, please help!

I need some tips or advice on how to calm my newborn that has colic. When he is awake during the day he just screams his head off. The only thing that helps is turning the vacuum on or going for a drive. Also he doesn't take very good naps. Holding him does not help soothe him. He prefers to lay on the floor on his back. Thanks for your help. I also have a 19 month old to my patience is wearing thin.

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IF you are bf, it might be something you are eating.

I really have no advice. My 2nd had colic and nothing worked:(
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• mine had them too for a long time. Nothing really helped either you can just try what helps and go with that.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 4:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I tried a swing with my son, the constant motion seemed to soothe him. He even slept in it for a short period of time.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Could also be a milk allergy, even with breastmilk. Dr visit may be in order.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 4:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• It could be milk or soy allergy, but have you tried swaddling/pacifier/using a swing? Even at 5 weeks he may need the secure feeling of being swaddled and not having his arms flailing about to startle him. They make cute swaddlers with velcro to help hold a tight swaddle that baby can't wiggle out of. I would say if the vacuum noise helps calm him down you may just need to do some additional "womb-like" soothing things like motion and swaddling. Good luck and hang in there. It does get better! :o)
    ZoeyBethsMomma

Answer by ZoeyBethsMomma at 4:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Does he act like he might have reflux? Are you nursing? Have you tried cutting things out of your diet? Have you tried changing formula if he's being fed formula?

Do you have a sound machine that does various types of white noise? Does it seem to help?
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Are you sure that it's colic and not something else-mediccally wrong?? Maybe formula is bothering your baby-stomacch ramps et.. or has an underlying illness that has gone undiagnosed.Have you talked with your dr. about what's happening-good lucck wish you all the best-hugz
    Gemini5

Answer by Gemini5 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• sorry my c button sticks-oops
    Gemini5

Answer by Gemini5 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My first dd had colic and the bath is the only thing that soothed her really. Some days all we could do is put her in her swing and let her cry.. It is so aggravating, you feel so helpless.. Hnag in there it will go away soon hopefully...
    stacy1124

Answer by stacy1124 at 3:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Give him chamomile tea its 100% safe for babies and it helps...add a pinch of brown sugar...I did this with both my kids as my DR told me to do so and it worked....Also try putting him to sleep on his belly...I KNOW! you may say OMG no you cant but colic babies sleep 85% better on the belly....just make sure no lose clothing and blankets in the bed.....Also buy Colic ease....http://www.colicease.com/ ......this stuff is amazing.....and last...talk to you DR about this formula

http://www.enfamil.com/app/iwp/enf10/content.do?dm=enf&id=/Consumer_Home3/FeedingSolutions/NutramigenLGG&iwpst=B2C&ls=0&cm_mmc=Digitas-SEM-_-Google-Solutions-_-Nutramigen-_-nutramigen&csred=1&r=3486030621

good luck I feel your pain.....just remember to breath
    MaMaTreZZa

Answer by MaMaTreZZa at 9:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2011