Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Visitation/Custody help?

DD is 7. She goes for supervised visits every other weekend. They go to another town in our state that is 4 hrs away. Last weekend they did not bring her back on Sun because they called to ask could she stay until Mon. I told them that was ok but I wanted her back by 12 noon. I even sent a text saying the same. Noon came and went so I waited until 12:30 and started calling and texting her, grandmother, and my ex. By 1:30 with no answer at all I was a little frantic. I called the police who wanted to know my ex's address. That is when I realized I do not have their new address. (They just moved from a hotel to an appt) So I ask my ex for the address and he said he will not give it to me. He is behind on child support and does not want to be ruled in. What can I do?

Answer Question

Asked by treynlisa at 4:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 20 (9,618 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Go to probation (child support office) they should find him for you... go back to court and ask the judge for help... they find dads all the time, they should find him also.

    Answer by Finkette at 4:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • He can't withhold his address, you can let him know that he can give it to you the easy way or have a judge yell at him and force him to give it to you. Either way, he does not have the right to not tell you (as long as there's been no abuse in the relationship).

    However... as for being late, when we lived 2 hours away from my step son the judge told his mom that she was just going to have to be flexible because there was no accounting for traffic accidents and other things that regularly occur and can impede your ability to be on time.

    Answer by miss_lisa at 4:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • About the being late, she did not even leave to bring dd home until the police called her. She is totally nuts. I don't know what sh would have done had the police not called her.

    Comment by treynlisa (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • Ok, that is ridiculous. They should have been out of the house. Any time we were late it was because of car accidents or other traffic issues.

    Answer by miss_lisa at 4:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • File a contempt of court order against him. He can not legally withhold his address, he has to give it to the court or child support services and then you can easily get it by contacting them. When you say supervised visits exactly what does that entail? It sounds like your ex had full access to your DD with only his mom there to "supervise" that right? Anyone I've known who had supervised visits was given a meeting place in public where they could spend time with their child/children accompanied by a social worker or other state employee and the meetings were never over night and never at the visiting parent's home.

    Answer by anon1986East at 4:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • i probably would have done the same thing you did called the cops. but then again i don't believe in child support. so there for if i had issue's with the dad i would never let him be around the child doesn't matter if he is a good father or bad i still wouldn't let him take her. that's just my theory about it.

    Answer by JessicaReinking at 4:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • They have phones, if there would have been traffic problems - they can pick up the phone and say so.
    File contempt of court charges. Start getting the child support you deserve.

    Answer by SassySue123 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • I talked to the court office Friday and they said I need his address to serve papers. They said I could deny his visit and let him bring me in on contempt charges and I could tell the judge why I denied visits.

    Comment by treynlisa (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • Does he work? When we took BM back to court the second time she was refusing to give us her home address, so we had her served at work.

    Answer by miss_lisa at 7:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • As far as I know he does not work.

    Comment by treynlisa (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.