Do you or have you put what my mom calls "leashes" on your kids lol

I bought one for my oldest son when he was 2 bc he was soo freakin busy and she got mad. She said it's like putting a leash on him. I find it cute..especially the ones that are like backpacks. But i do understand how she feels. I guess I have mixed feelings about them

kyheavensmom

Asked by kyheavensmom at 4:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't really like them myself but I broke down and bought one for my 16mo so that when we went to his older brothers baseball games I could keep him nearby.The place to sit around the field is all blacktop that has an opening not very far away that goes right to the road.... I wasn't comfortable taking chances like that so I got a leash. but that is the only time I have every used it.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 4:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• why is it degrading? you put the leash on them so the won't run away, not to show ownership or make them look like a pet. it's so they don't run off
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I have not, although extremely tempting. I am (still) teaching my ds that he must listen to me, stay with me, and/or hold my hand.

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 4:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I think it is like treating your kid like a pet. So I never ever would do that to my kids. My toddler either stands in back of the sit and stand stoller or holds my hand.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 4:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• At momofone I agree with you but it does look weird to me having this leash on my kid. I do agree you know with it on he won't run off but idk. If I were to get one for my 2 yr old than I'll get the backpack one I saw a little kid with the other day
    kyheavensmom

Comment by kyheavensmom (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I haven't but I don't think it's wrong. My cousin has one for her 2 year old because she likes to walk off, she hates the stroller and she hates holding hands. For anyone else who thinks it's like treating your kid like a pet consider the possibilities if you're walking in a public place and your kids runs off or just walking down the street - two weeks ago the news reported on a 5 year old boy who ran out in the street and was hit, and killed, by a car.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 4:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My DD Loved her "Pink Puppy"!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I dont like them.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 4:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I bought my oldest one that looks like a monkey. He loved it. We only used it when we went to busy places like the zoo.
    sparkles1986315

Answer by sparkles1986315 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Yes, I have used one of the backpack things on both my children and grandchild but only when we were traveling in an airport or in a foreign country where it was essential to keep together for safety.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 4:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2011