Is following Christ easy or nearly impossible?

Not talking about religious institutions here, I am talking about living like Christ "taught" us to live. Obviously we have the bible as a guide if we choose to look at it that way, but there are some pretty hefty concerns about following Christ's advice and lifestyle. Should I cut off my hand because it causes me to sin? Should I waltz into martyrdom? Should I actually love my enemies, for realz? What about those who don't believe the bible is accurate, yet appreciate Christ's ideals? Do we just "hope" that we're doing well enough? Luke 17:7

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Follow your heart, and it's easy.
    The bible only screws things up.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• you can not just hope to do well enough, cause just good works dont bring you into heaven. You have to believe and accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 4:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• What about those who don't believe the bible is accurate, yet appreciate Christ's ideals?

How do they determine which ideals of Christ's to follow? Do they just pick the ones they like, and ignore the ones they don't like? What if they don't like an ideal that is in fact true? Can they really call themselves a follower of Christ if they don't follow an ideal they don't like?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 4:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I really can't add anything to the great answers already given. I will say one thing. I've only been saved for a little more than 9 years, and I can honestly say that following Jesus, remembering what my life was like when I was worldly, is in fact very easy. Is it all rainbows and clouds? Hardly. But, that's ok, God tells us following Him wouldn't be. But, He also told us following Him would be more worth anything else ever,and He's right. He also tells us He will be right there with us, every step of the way,and that is the truth, also.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• its not necessarily easy, but its not as hard as some ppl will make it seem. if you take every single thing in the Bible literally (like chopping off your hand) then yes its hard. but if you realize that its a metaphor for how to live your life then its a lot easier. for some Christians its harder (like loving your enemies...dont see a lot of that from some Christians) and for others it comes easily. but if you dont feel in your heart that youre "doing well enough" then you should examine you life & see what it is that makes you feel that way.

imo Luke 17:7 is saying that if you only follow Christ's teachings b/c you have to or your suppose to than you're missing the point. its not about following the rules b/c they're the rules, its about following Christ's teachings b/c you feel they are the best way to live.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I don't think its hard at all but I live that life pretty much anyway without him
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• "With Christ, all things are possible ... without Christ, obedience to God is impossible."

Funny, because I also claim obedience to G-d seeing as I follow the laws of the OT to the best of m yabilities. And yet I don't need Jesus in order to have that obedience. If anything, didn't Jesus claim that we're now free not to be obedient of those laws anymore?

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• With Christ, all things are possible ... without Christ, obedience to God is impossible.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 4:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• honestly I think everyone has to work things out with god their own way its diffrent for each person and he knows that
    MrsKey0129

Answer by MrsKey0129 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Really ... I think the heart is what screws things up.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2011