Are disorders such as ADD and ADHD over diagnosed?

Some would argue that these "mental disorders" simply do not exist and are used as a card for sugar-high elementary school children. Some believe the disorder exists and should not be overlooked.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Health

• Y-E-S!!! Let me say that I am sure there are real cases of both, BUT every single child does not have one or the other. In my sons kindergarten class, all the children but TWO were diagnosed with ADD. A class of 28 and 26 children had ADD? I would call that over-diagnosed.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• yeah it is over diagnosed especially when teachers don't want to deal with hyper kids and want a sedated class. I have a kid who truly is ADHD and sure meets all the criteria and then some.
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I guess the only way people really know is when they can see a difference themselves. Some people enjoy drama smh.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I'd like to know how giving a non-ADHD kid meds for ADHD is gonna sedate them. (ADHD meds are stimulants, if you don't have ADHD, they will stimulate you, not sedate you.)

Yes, it can be over diagnosed. So can many other things. Parents cause such a shit fit over things until doctors give in. Adults cause such shit fits, and doctors give in. OR, some doctors just don't actually listen to a patients complaints/symptoms, and give a wrong Dx.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• my husband was diagnosed with adhd when he was a child and put on Concerta for it....he didn't even have adhd, he was just a hyper kid and the doctor gave his parent's a quick fix. it's disgusting how many hyper children are misdiagnosed just because they're being kids
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My sis and I were diagnosed with ADD and medicated for years. We actually have a sleep disorder that was over looked because they did not want to test for it.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 5:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Sometimes I think its over diagnosed.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• i say better parent your children and stop lowering standards
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 5:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My son went to the pediatrician, counsellor and a psychiatrist before I allowed them to medicate him. I'd never put chemicals in my childs body that weren't necessary. But its a night and day difference and when he doesn't take his concerta he cries and says he feels crazy. But yes I feel for some that the testing is too easy and some parents don't want to deal with children being children. I have three little boys and id rather medicate myself if i had to than them lol.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I think it is way over diagnosed. I think it is a real problem but not nearly as prominent as everyone thinks. I babysat these kids that were very hyper and generally out of hand. But it was mainly out of a lack of discipline and structure, when I was with them I gave them structure and rules and they did fine. A year or so after I stopped being able to watch them they were suddenly on ADD meds.... I don't think it was because they were ADD I think it was because they needed something to blame their behavior problems on. I don't think its always because of a behavior problem that children are misdiagnosed, I just think everyone would rather group all the kids together instead of focusing on why that specific child acts the way they do to find a solution.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2011