my little girl has a bad cough

took her to dr. today and she gave her promethazine-codeine syrup hit for her cough so she could sleep tonight and also and antibiotic . she has a little fever i dont know if i should give her something for her fever .I'm afraid with the cough
syrup, she has never used this cough syrup before. has anyone used this before with fever reducing medicine ?please let me know she's 5yrs

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't really feel comfortable answering your question because I am not familiar with that particular type of cough medicine. I would strongly suggest you contact your pharmacist to ask them this question.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 7:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Have her suck on some throat logenzes, cherry flavor or honey and lemon flavor my kids love them (5 and 7 years old). It helps. I would not give her anymore medicine call ur doctor to make sure for now just put a cold rag over her little forehead and put alittle vicks on her little nose just a dab this is what I do. Poor baby I hope she feels alot better. God Bless!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Awwwwww good luck momma and I hope your little one feels better soon. I would call the pharmacy or your after hours number for your doctor and ask about giving her anymore meds.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My son has had that cough med many times, I dont think I would give her any fever reducing medicine with the cough syrup. If its just a slight fever give her a bath(not hot, just warm) and maybe that will help. I dont really like to mix meds, but if you are unsure you could call the pharmacy and ask.
    StaceeyL

Answer by StaceeyL at 12:06 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• my daughter needs albuteral inhaler or nebulizer when she is sick, she has had asthma. Just keep in eye on your daughters respirations that she is not using her stomach muscles. If she is having breathing prob take her to the ER. A cough can turn out life-threatening. Ice pops are good for coughs and fever,mandarin oranges may help!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:19 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• A slight fever is the body's way of getting rid of infection. Talk to your Dr or pharmacist about possible drug interactions, and when to give a fever reducer (if at all). With my son I was told that if his fever reached 103 degrees to get him to ER but below that take a cool cloth on forehead, and wrists. With a mild fever I would take a damp washcloth and place on his eyes to make them feel better. Two important tips to remember with fever is not cover with heavy blankets you don't want to elevate the temp. Also do not let them get too cold, because the body will shiver which (again) elevates body temp.
    Good luck.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 2:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• my son has used that medicine several times. it seems to be the only thing that will get rid of his cough. it's the codeine. my doctors have always recommended motrin along with the cough syrup. i don't see any harm. good luck.
    ZARA81

Answer by ZARA81 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2008