How many moms out there had c section? and how long did it take you to get into a workout routine after?

I been reading about exercising after surgery for about an hour now.. i see some things that i can try. some things i did to soon and the consequences were swelling of the abdomin. now im to nervous to even try to work out.. they say wait wait wait.. but i feel fat.. its not looking fat its actually feeling it.. thats the worst feeling. i do lots or house work but a baby with colic keeps me pretty busy so i cant exactly put her down and let her scream just to exercise.. i feel like a bad mommy..... any advice???? techniques? much appreciated....

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 5:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was walking for exercise 10 days post op and back to running at 5 wks post op
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Yes walking seems to be effective shortly afterwards. I had two C Sections and would put my boys in a stroller and walk. A lot. Seemed to calm them too.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 5:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• nice!! i started exercising 7 wks post and for 3 weeks i felt swollen :/
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I didn't excercise much but I did breastfeed both kids and tried to watch what I ate and got back down to my normal weight a few months later.
    nightngale83

Answer by nightngale83 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I walked everywhere with DS in his stroller or in the moby. Sometimes walking with them helps colic. Sorry I'm no help most of my weight was gone by the time I left the hospital.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 5:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• id love to go walking but i dont always have the car so i cant go anywhere to walk.. and this road is a back road so it has ppl going 60 and its 35mph
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I didn't work out at all until my son was about 9 or 10 MONTHS, actually. Buuuut the delay wasn't because of the surgery... it was because I was bigger than I'd ever been in my whole life (pregnancy aside) and I finally decided it was never going to just go away. I had never had to work out a day in my life before that, so that was what took me so long.
    That said, I don't think I could've done much before three or four months. I recover from things quite quickly, but I still felt "weird" around the incision. I didn't like doing things that made it feel not-so-normal.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 6:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My situation might not give you an idea. I had a c-section, but also I've had 2 prior surgery, so my abs muscles are very weak. I've been up and down trying to get in shape since I had my son almost 2 years ago. But, I can tell you that now I have finally gotten into a rountine.
    Doctors usually say to give yourself the full 8 weeks before lifting etc. so it's good to wait till that time atleast, but you can work out by walking after 8 weeks, and as the time goes on you can start doing more working out at the gym etc. Talk to your doctor if you had questions on getting started. Also, the magazines Parents and other maganzine like that have ideas for workouts to get back in shape.
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Talk to your doc....I was told I could start doing mild workouts after a month, which I did....I never got out of the mild workouts though because I wasn't able to coordinate gym works with my hubby's schedule or the daycare at our gym....and then I got pregnant again...so now I feel like I am a blimp, the only things that gives me any comfort is that when I was this far along with Sophie I had gained about 10 lbs and I really haven't gained anything but maybe a pound or 2...which is good since I am still 20 lbs over my normal weight anyways. So embarrassing when the doc tells you that you can only gain a certain amount....with Sophie I was told I needed to gain at least x amount of pounds, now they are saying you can't go over x amount.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:20 PM on Jun. 21, 2011