My Dr. Will help but Im Scared!

ok so its a plus size question..i am 340lbs i have been for the last few yrs..i do maintain the same weight for yrs at the time im not constantly gaining or anything..anyway since i have started dating my dh i have gained alot more weight in 02 when we started i weighed 180..and since then it has become the 340..my dr says he will help me get gastric bypass or the lap band to help me bc hes pretty sure pills etc wont help and after losing only a few lbs i will quit..I have a 1yr old and need to be in better shape for myself and be here to look after her bc my weight it truthfully killing me im only 27yrs old...I have thought about the surgery but im so scared of dying...or the surgery going wrong later on...i know a woman that hers has given her alot of issues and shes sick all the time i dont want that...what should i do..do you know any success stories..encouragement please..advice..thank you ladies! pros/cons???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I'm personally wary of doctors and surgeries and all that stuff. Recently there was a woman online who lost hundreds of pounds following a certain diet and exercise routine. I'm forunate to never have had a weight problem, but if I were in your shoes I think I'd just have to accept the fact I'd have to "suck it up" and go with a healthier diet and lifestyle. If after trying it and sticking to it for a certain amount of time (I'd say 6months to a year) FAITHFULLY, if for some reason there were no results, only THEN would I consider surgery.

But you have to do what works best for you so I say if you really want to do the surgery option, then go online and research, research, research the positive and negative effects of this surgery.
    Anonymous

• Not sure that I would call myself a success - even after all this time, it's hard to see myself at the weight I truly am. I had gastric bypass in 2006 when I was 26 years old. I've never been sick other than the very common dumping - which can be avoided most of the time. For me lap band is something I didn't even consider. I don't like the thought of something being in me permanently like that and I knew what I needed to do for myself.

Most important thing is to educate yourself on the different types of surgery out there, and what may be the best option for you. WWW.obesityhelp.com was a great resource when I was pre-op. Above all, despite the misconceptions about WLS in general it is not an easy way out. Look at it as a tool towards helping you achieve a better lifestyle and better health, and you can be successful.

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I still have about 50 lbs to go, but I dropped 70 lbs the first year and about 45 lbs in the next 6 months after that. I'm still working on my weight, but I've reached a point where it's purely for health reasons and not because I feel uncomfortable or unable to be active with my kids. I've gone from a 26/28 down to a size 12/14 top, and size 14 jeans.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• It would be safer to tailor your house to your diet. And for you to set up an exercise regimen. Find mom groups who work out together, it's easier to do if someone is nagging you to show up every day. Your DH won't be harmed by the healthier eating. Try to use you car as little as possible, walk as much as you can to get somewhere and allow extra time for rest breaks.

I have heard about things going wrong with the lap band and GB. You need to make the life style changes FIRST our it will fail and bring MORE problems. Good luck and I wish you the best.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 6:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My SIL had the GB and she certainly lost the weight she needed to, but now she has trouble absorbing nutrients. She is terribly malnourished even though she eats healthy foods. She will fight this the rest of her life. This is a decision you need to make very carefully, because as my SIL told me, it wasn't a quick fix and looking back on it, she could have accomplished the same thing w/o the surgery because she still had to change her lifestyle and eating habits and exercise. The GB was a kickstart, but she's paying a big price for it now.
    LoriSnyder

Answer by LoriSnyder at 7:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I would PM you this but your anon... we have a relatively new group on here that is a weight loss support group. Feel free to join for support in your journey... no matter what path you choose ;o). http://www.cafemom.com/group/114329

I have a good friend in the same boat as you, due to her thyroid shutting down. She is making the same choices right now. Sorry I can't offer advice on the surgery, but I totally understand the weight loss issue. Talk to the docs that do the surgeries, ask for referrals so you can talk to real people that have actually had it done!! Good luck hun!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Gastric bypass can be helpful for very overweight people. BUT.... if you don't deal with the underlying issues causing your weight problems - like if you're a compulsive overeater for example - it is possible to stretch out the remaining gastric pouch and "fail" the bypass. Others transfer their addictive behaviors to alcohol, gambling, shopping, etc. Then there are the serious risks of the surgery itself. It really is something that should only be considered if you've tried everything else.

The lap-band is certainly a less dramatic step.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Be aware that with any weight loss surgery will mean a very restricted diet for the rest of your life. It may also mean you never feel full again. That's a very common problem that can lead to failure. Surgery isn't something to take lightly (I see you know that). It's certainly safer to do this through diet and exercise before resorting to surgery. It CAN be done. It's not easy, but you can do it. I was at 269 Feb 2010, and now I'm 206 and still slowly losing. Exercising gets easier as you slim down, and your stomach does adjust to smaller portions. It takes some time, but you'll get there. Exercising and eating clean have really helped me. Stay away from pills, and use surgery as a last resort. The fewer medical interventions the better, IMO.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:17 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• As others have said, wt loss surgery should not be considered an easy-out (I'm certainly not saying you think this!). They get your stomach down to about 1 oz in size. That's a shot glass. That's the amount of food you can consume at one time. That's it. Usually you cannot drink liquids with meals due to either dumping (aka diarrhea) or fullness (which take the place of higher-nutrient foods). Caffeine is often eliminated (again, for risk of dumping). Vitamin/mineral and protein supplements are normally required for years post-op (at least for gastric bypass roux-en-y. If you are considering it, try the diet out FIRST for 1 month to see if you can do it. Don't let your doc talk you into. Have you tried programs like Wt Watchers or met with a registered dietitian to help with your wt loss in the past? Do you have family support for healthy choices, or do you live with a s/o who also makes unhealthy choices?
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 12:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• You cannot lose weight alone. Well, you CAN, but it's much more difficult to achieve life-long healthy wt without "emotional/social support" of friends/loved ones. If you are only 27, I must ask if you are an emotional/stress eater? If so, this issue MUST be addressed prior to any wt loss surgery or expectation of successful wt loss. If you are a stress/emotional eater, try reading one of Geneen Roth's books. You can also try: http://www.oa.org/meetings/find-a-meeting-online.php
    Best of luck to you!
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 12:29 AM on Jun. 21, 2011