To mommies with two or more children!

I have two boys ages 3 and 5. It seems that, if one is happy with somthing the other isnt. one of them wants to watch blues clues the other wants spongebob... how do you choose? i have this problem with EVERYTHING! i feel like if one is happy the other isnt. What can i do to make sure i am being fair to both of them. how do you maintain all your childrens likes and dislikes?

dfwhite

Asked by dfwhite at 6:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• im not a mom of two but my mom was :P and she flip flop id get my way then my brother got his this went on like this till my brother moved out at 16
    HypoHeartBaby

Answer by HypoHeartBaby at 6:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• it is a balancing act and making sure that they know they have to share. In my house we have always had a voting system and a his turn your turn system. For example if one wants to watch something on TV and the other doesn't then they take turns. One day maybe watch blues clues and the next watch sponge bob, or even in the same day let one go first and then the other. At their ages it is important to teach them they can't always get their way and just because they didn't get their way doesn't give them the right to fight and be upset. Try explaining that they need to take turns. It is not an easy lesson to teach and it does take time.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Great advice cornflakegirl3. thank you very much!
    dfwhite

Comment by dfwhite (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I simply tell them either they agree or I choose. For a while we did the "who picked last time" thing, but that was to much work.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Have another then instill democracy haha j/k
    Actually we make them share plain and simple. I have 5. 2 out of the house, 1 on his way out, and two at home plus two grandkids who may as well live here. Lets say they want to watch videos on the computer they get 30 minutes. lets say they wanna watch a show, one gets one, then the next turn is the others. Thats how we do it. And when they argue I ask, "Wait, whose in charge again?" and they drop their heads and say you are.

Answer by gemgem at 6:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I have a 4 and 7 year old, so cartoons are interesting (to say the least) around here on Saturday's. The 7 year old is into Bakugan, Yu-gi-oh, and all the boy cartoons that I'm just NOT ready for the 4 year old to watch. The 4 year old is into Handy Manny, Special Agent Oso and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse which are boring for my 7 year old. So I do a flip flop. For an hour they watch his shows, then hers for and hour until the cartoons are done for the day. If there's any fighting, pouting or whining they ALL get turned off and they get sent to rooms to play. The DO do a little bit of negotiating and trading, but I still get final say over what they watch.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• We take turns unless they are fighting then I turn it off. We normally go by who got to watch a show or who picked a movie last
    Anonymous

• I taught mine ways of resolving their own problems like that. Their favorite is rock, paper, scissors.

Answer by missanc at 7:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Take turns letting one choose. That works for us. Sometimes if they still argue I will choose lol.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 21, 2011