Portabella Mushrooms

Anyone have any ideas that do not include grilling or balsamic vinegar? We have a lot of these growing and I'm not finding any recipes that do not involve that. And yes I have googled, binged and checked cooks.com, allrecipes, mrs.beaton and the cooking channel sites.
And please do not answer just to say you don't like them or that you only grill them. Thank you.

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 6:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Actually I use them in salads raw they taste good. Also I steam them.

Answer by gemgem at 6:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I've had baked stuffed portobello mushrooms before. I liked them better that way, than grilled. The recipe I have does call for balsamic vinegar, but I think it will still cook & taste fine without it.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I love portabellas!

You can use the whole caps in place of burgers. Just fry them up in a pan like you would burgers. I like to saute them in a little butter and use them as a side. You can use them in stir fries. One of my favorite restaurants had amazing beef tips and portabella dish.

Honestly, I have never grilled them or used balsamic with them and we eat them quite often.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I love portabella mushrooms stuffed and baked. I cut the stems off completely then chop the stems (as long as they aren't woody) and mix with chopped onions, jack cheese, a little white wine and whatever else sounds good (shrimp is great, so is seasoned hamburger) then stuff the caps and bake at 350 until everything is melted. I also season them with a little olive oil and garlic and bake then use in place of hamburger patties on whole wheat buns.
    LoriSnyder

Answer by LoriSnyder at 6:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Mushroom Stroganoff, is a great, speedy weeknight dinner, especially if you cook the noodles the night before (I use whole wheat egg noodles or bowties). I also throw in spinach, either fresh or frozen chopped.
    1 lb portabello mushrooms (either the large or baby bellas), cut in half and sliced
    1/2 onion, diced
    1 - 1 1/2 c sour cream (I use fat free plain Greek yogurt)
    1/2 - 1 Tbsp Hungarian Paprika
    salt & pepper to taste
    olive oil or butter (I use some of each)
    1/8 cup (or so) vegetable broth or dry white wine (optional, not part of the original recipe; I think that it gives it some depth)
    Saute diced onions in olive oil or butter (your preference) until just soft and translucent. Add sliced mushrooms, saute until cooked through. Add broth/wine paprika and incorporate well.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Turn down heat and add sour cream. Heat through, add salt & pepper to taste. Add more sour cream if the 1 cup doesn't cover everything well. Serve on top of egg noodles or rice. Once I made this and I didn't have enough yogurt, so I added cream cheese and it was still very good! Mushrooms are a great source of protein as well as many other nutrients.

• Stuffed Mushrooms
    1 lb. large mushrooms
    2 Tbs. olive oil
    1/2 7-oz. pkg. firm tofu, finely chopped (about 1 1/3 cup)
    8 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder (I use a large, crushed clove)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley (I prefer cilantro)
    2 Tbs. dried breadcrumbs
    Preheat oven to 375F. Line large baking sheet with foil or parchment. Remove mushroom stems and finely chop. Set aside. Place caps, top side down, on prepared baking sheet. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushroom stems, tofu, tomatoes, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in parsley, breadcrumbs and 1 Tbs. water. Remove from heat and cool about 5 minutes.
    Stuff each mushroom cap with generous 2 tsp. filling. Bake 20 minutes, or until browned and crisp on top.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Thank you. My husband found a recipe that is satuee them in olive oil and them putting romano cheese, dill and balsamic vinegar on it and he's done this every week for three months now. I'm sick of it, but when I suggest cutting them into stirfry or sauteeing them with onions for "sops" (onions & mushrooms cooked in cream with garlic) he says it will be a waste of a good portabella. He also cannot find a different recipe to save his life. So I will try your ideas.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 7:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I like to slice them, saute them in butter, add a little garlic and wine, and load them onto a toasted Italian roll.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I like to chop them, then saute in a little butter or olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper and use them as filling for an omelet.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 11:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2011