For moms with teenage daughters...

I have a neighbor who is the grandmother of a 14 year old who stays with her in the summer time. The girl is such a sweetheart, and she likes to look at me like a "big sister". If I can i'll make it a point to spend a little time with her since she doesn't really get to see her friends much. She has been through a pretty rough life. Her father has been in and out of her life, and her mother is just not as involved as to what I think a mom should be. Basically her living situations are more than often unstable.

Just the other morning the grandmother called me and asked me if I had an feminine rags. She couldn't go to the store because her car is currently being fixed and the girls mother wouldn't be coming around until the evening. I pulled out a few regular tampons and brought them over. The girl told me she's never used a tampon before and didnt even know how to use one. I didn't really know what to do other than offer to give her a ride to get pads or try my best to teach her how to use a tampon.

She said she was scared and I told her it's not as scary as it seems lol. I took one out the wrapper so I could show her how to do it and explained not to force it. Long story short, she tried it and said it hurt and then I thought about how there are smaller ones than regulars. But I wasn't about to make her do anything and just couldn't remember when I started using tampons or how I felt about it. So in the end I drove her to store so she could get pads.

The whole thing just made me feel like this girl was completely clueless because she was never taught. So my question is, at what age is it common for teen girls to start using tampons? Did you have to teach them anything as far as knowing how to use one or did they already know from health class or from a conversation you had with them in the past? I can't really remember how it was for me, and i've heard they are teaching this kind of stuff earlier than middle school now.

DJsMommy610

Asked by DJsMommy610 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• My dd is 22 and still doesnt like them. I think it is all dependent on the girl is all? I loved them as a teen. I could swim or do whatever I wanted and hated pads. My dd though hated tampons, go figure. Sometimes too depending on how they are raised too. My mom used to think tampons meant sexually active lol. So you never know how she is being raised.

Answer by gemgem at 6:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My dd is 12, tried them and didn't like them. My 17 yr old uses them, but I can't tell you at what age she started, as everything was explained and avalable to them. Id say I was probably like 15 when I started using them.
    I'm assuming it would depend on the girls, if they play sports, ect.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Not a mom of a teenage daughter. I am a teen however. My mum never taught me because she didn't think they were natural. I despise pads so I simply bought some when at my dad's house one time and taught myself. They do come with instructions. If I have a daughter I'll teach her when she wants to learn. I'll explain how both types work when she starts her first period and ask which she' like to try.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 7:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I remember tampons being uncomfortable for me until I was in my late teens. Pads were my best option. About her being clueless. It could be that her mother and grandmother (and maybe your young friend as well) just aren't comfortable with getting into the details of the subject. I couldn't discuss it with my mom. She gave me the overview when I was 12 and after I started my period, a box of pads just materialized on my bed every month. My own daughters were more chatty on the subject, but mainly with each other. I let them know they could come to me with questions or problems, so they did.
    LoriSnyder

Answer by LoriSnyder at 7:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I showed my daughters both tampons and pads before their periods began. Mine started at 10 so that was when I prepared them. I taught them about their cycle and how to use the products. Both used pads at first but quickly went to tampons. My older daughter started at 14 and the younger one at 11....they started at the same time. (crazy hu). It if very nice of you to step in this way. Sometimes we are called to "mother" (a verb) when we least expect it.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 7:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I wore tampons from day 1. I showed my daughter how to do it, actually showed her on me, explained it, and drew picturres. She is 14 and hates them.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I started using tampons when I was 12 and I loved them. In fact, I was upset with my mom that I had suffered through using pads for 3 years. My older daughter didn't start using them until she was 15, but that was her choice. My younger daughter is 11 and hasn't opted to switch over yet.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My daughter is 11 and has to use them for school. She bleeds really heavy like a pad a hour and its not really good for school. She hates them though.
    Mzwest83

Answer by Mzwest83 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• It depends on the girl. I didn't start using tampons until I was 16, My aunt told me how your suppose to use them and then left me to do it. Some girls decide to just use pads it's all up to what they like and wanna use.
    daddysgirl199

Answer by daddysgirl199 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• my daughter started her period dec. of 6th grade and was using tampons by that summer.

we have a back yard pool and live 3 miles from the beach.... she needed to learn or she would have NO social life for one week every month.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jun. 20, 2011