Booster for 5 year old ?

My daughter is about to turn 5 and she is also tall for her age ( but really skinny) ... A friend told me her booster seat should have the back taken off of it...

I assumed that it was fine with the back on it, especially since without the back, it just looks too big for her...but friend said it is less safe with the back on it, for her size...

I thought the ones without the back were for a little older kids ( like 7 - 9 )?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my 7 yr old is tall for his age and still has the back on his. The seat belt slot is still above his shoulder. Most of those seats you can adjust the back to make it taller. I don't know where she would think it would be safer.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Contact your local fire department or police station. They should have someone who is certified to check car seats. They can tell you if the car seat is appropriate. But a general rule of thumb is that her shoulders should be below the slot for the seatbelt. If her shoulder is pulling the seatbelt up then it is probably time to take off the back. But I would check with either the fire dept or police and have them verify. Better safe then sorry.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Keep her in the high back booster as long as you can. There is no magical age when she will grow out of it. The slot is made to hold the seatbelt so that it cuts across her properly. My 6 year old is still in one and will probably be in one for a couple of more years until she is too tall for it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My 6 year old is in a high back booster. My 9 year old is using a backless booster. They just aren't tall enough to wear a seat belt properly.

I say if she still fits in it with the back, keep using it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:37 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Here is a list of booster seat laws by state:
    http://www.saferoads.org/issues/BoosterSeatLawChart.pdf

Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 8:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• my son to sm al for his age he 4 and he tall
    yvonne1111

Answer by yvonne1111 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• my 8 finial out his seat 80 pound
    yvonne1111

Answer by yvonne1111 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• You can have it with the back on or off, it doesn't effect the safety of it. As long as you can adjust the back to be above her head and the belt strap goes across her chest from her shoulder not her neck.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Mine are in simply a booster no back by 4-5 and out of a car seat by 6-7.... they all meet weight requirement. I a so mind boggled by people who stick a 4th grader in a carseat....lmao stupid modern fads..... I REFUSE to ERF and to put an 8 yo in a car seat....stupid all around!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Jolee, for your information. My fourth grader is still in a booster because he is tiny. If he just sits in the seat, the belt doesn't properly fit across his body. It's STUPID to not have your kid properly restrained. Sorry if I don't want my kid choking on his seat belt if we were to get in an accident, lol. So be boggled.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 20, 2011