Jon Stewart LIVE On Fox News, Tells Host 'You're Insane' Can you blame him?

Jon Stewart LIVE On Fox News, Tells Host 'You're Insane'

The Daily Show's Jon Stewart entered the proverbial lion's den, appearing live on Fox News Sunday to debate "media bias" with host Chris Wallace.

Early in the interview, Wallace flashed a previous quote of Stewart's calling Fox News a "relentless agenda-driven 24 hour news opinion propaganda delivery system," and asked Stewart, "Where do you come up with this stuff?"

Stewart responded, "Uh, it's actually quite easy."

Later, when Wallace argued that a clip about Sarah Palin from the Daily Show was political commentary, Stewart told Wallace, "You're insane... Here's the difference between you and I. I'm a comedian first. My comedy is informed by an ideological background, there's no question about that. But the thing that you will never understand...is that Hollywood, yeah, they're liberal, but that's not their primary motivating force. I'm not an activist. I am a comedian."

"Do I want my voice heard?" Stewart continued later. "Absolutely, that's why I got into comedy. Am I an activist, in your mind? A partisan ideological activist?" Wallace responded, "Yeah." "Okay, then I disagree with you," Stewart said. "You can't understand, because of the world that you live in, that there is not a designed ideological agenda on my part to affect partisan change because that's the soup you swim in. And I appreciate that, I understand it. It reminds me of in ideological regimes, they can't understand that there is free media other places because they receive marching orders."

However, it was in a later exchange that Stewart got actually angry at Wallace, as he talked about what he called the misinformation that Fox News gave its viewers.

"The embarrassment is that I'm given credibility in this world because of the disappointment that the public has in what the news media does," he said.

Story continues below
"I don't think our viewers are the least bit disappointed with us," Wallace said. "I think our viewers think, finally, they're getting somebody who tells the other side of the story."

"Who are the most consistently misinformed media viewers?" Stewart shot back, his voice rising. "The most consistently misinformed? Fox, Fox viewers, consistently, every poll."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/19/jon-stewart-fox-news-sunday-video_n_879964.html?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C216417

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Entertainment

• What's insane is people watch shows like his and SNL and think it is news...NOT comedy.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Chris Wallace is a liberal. So, ya, perhaps a bit of insanity. But in all actuality Jon Stewart is an ass.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• It never ceases to amaze me when the MSM try to compare what they do to what stewart does, or try to paint him as a hypocrite. He's a comedian, on comedy central. It's ment to be funny not a political news show. I'm a complete opposite to Stewart when it comes to political beliefs. But i love watching him. Because it's hilarious. I can laugh at the shortcomings of my own political party. This isn't the first time this has happened. I remember watching a similar scenerio with Tucker Carlson years back. In both cases, the interviewer is an ass. As if they are offended and in an attempt to get even they try to call him out on his reporting. Which is where they effectively make theirself look stupid. They can't grasp the difference in the two shows and thats sad.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• "The embarrassment is that I'm given credibility in this world because of the disappointment that the public has in what the news media does," he said.

says it all for why i watch the Daily Show (or did when i had cable). Stewart is a comedian, a performer...and he knows it & admits it. the other media talking heads think they are something more that that and its just sad.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I agree with him on this:

"The bias of MSM is sensationalism, conflict, and laziness"

I thought the bit about Palin's commercial was just funny. I didn't see that as a political statement.

He might be biased in comedic bent, but I think Chris Wallace is getting his feelings hurt. I'm Stewart can be a jerk, but come on ... comedians now a days are jerks.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I love the daily show. I love the Colbert report too. They satire the level of media bias that they see and I enjoy the entertainment.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Did anyone listen to the whole interview? The last minute?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Ass or not, technically he's right.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 8:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• think Jon STewart is a hilarious and very intelligent person who is entertaining, not intended to be a news broadcaster.
    And Chris Wallace is on Fox News....he works for Fox News....so how could he be a Liberal ??? That is impossible!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Snl can be a great show I have seen them point out how bad Obama is doing as they also made found of Bush. They get some info right.

Stewart is a jerk! Seen him many times.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2011