I wish I was dead

I have a 4 year old boy. lately he has been saying stuff that scares me. Like, he got mad at his little brother and I told him be nice. So he spent the next hour saying stuff like, I wish I was dead....God accidently made me....I will be happy if I was dead. EVERYTIME he gets in trouble, he will talk about how he wants to die and a good boy deserves his clothes and toys and God make a mistake making him. I know for a fact he didnt hear this from people. I even asked his teacher. Should I be worried or is this normal 4 year old behaviour?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I remember saything those things when I was around 10. It was just to get my parents attention though.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 8:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I don't think that is normal for a 4yr old. He is getting it from somewhere....TV, radio, Internet...somewhere...
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Just now, he is crying and saying he always gets angry so that's why he wants to die. He is really upset.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Have you talked to his doctor about his behavior to see if it's normal?
    JaniceMc27

Answer by JaniceMc27 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• janicemc27: no, i havent talked to his doctor yet. i will tomorrow.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• he's had to have heard it somewhere.. could be from TV could be from another family member, could have been another kid at school that asks like that.. eitherway it's NOT healthy for a 4 year old to be talking like that, and I would definitely talk to his doctor about it...

in the mean time, try spending some extra one on one time.. set aside an hour while his sibling is napping for just you and him time, let him pick the activity (within reason of course)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I would def. call his pediatrician first thing in the morning, they should recommend a psychologist or psychiatrist which ever one. i had to take my DD to one last year due to school behavior. The way he is talking is most def. not normal.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 8:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• my dd has started saying she wants to run away, or she wants a new mom/dad any time she gets into trouble..
    we live with my mom & earlier she was crying saying "i need nanny more than you".. (she calls my mom nanny).
    ARGH! :(
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I would talk to his dr and possibly start some counseling for him just to let him get these feelings out and get to the bottom of possible sources for this behavior. *hugs* I wish you and your son the best.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 8:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Thank you all for your comments. I will def call his doctor tomorrow.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2011